DIR-F in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're "getting a few more dives under your belt" for this class, don't bother. The skills you will learn will be far from the things you've been taught already. Unless you have a buddy or mentor that has already taken the class, practicing will just be a waste of your time. Just go dive and have fun, then take the class and have fun. I'm just trying to save you a little frustration down the road....

Vie:
Thank you , everyone, for the feedback and info. I’ve indicated to Gideon that I was interested in taking DIR-F and he has provided me with schedules for up coming courses, additional information etc. - in short, very helpful. Hopefully sometimes this year I will be making a trip to Singapore (as soon as I get my act together; get a few more dives under my belt!).

detroit diver:
If you're "getting a few more dives under your belt" for this class, don't bother. The skills you will learn will be far from the things you've been taught already. Unless you have a buddy or mentor that has already taken the class, practicing will just be a waste of your time. Just go dive and have fun, then take the class and have fun. I'm just trying to save you a little frustration down the road....

Appreciate the advice. I was just reading RavenC’s account of her DIR-F experience—now I’m not sure whether to practice or just go in blind. Any opinions?

Vie:
Appreciate the advice. I was just reading RavenC’s account of her DIR-F experience—now I’m not sure whether to practice or just go in blind. Any opinions?

Read Seajays report also... i think there's a link somewhere in Ravens report.

If you can find someone to dive with (a mentor) do it otherwise just work on buddy awareness, physical fitness and simple gear mods (pockets, spring straps) ect...

I was very lucky to find someone who helped me along the way (Boomx5) he dove with me and was patient enough to explain his rig and what DIR really is. While waiting for the class you can gain alot by just talking to folks who have been thru already, but don't get hung up on things that go over your head... take note and then bring your questions to class....

And after the class, dive dive and dive... don't quit. I went thru mine and was a bit down trodden and didn't get back into it till my provisional was done so now I'll retake it in Puerto Galera this March.

Anyway sorry for the long winded post... don't be like me and sit infront of the comp all day, jog, bike or better yet swim :) anything help us in the quest to do it "better"

Ben

Don't worry about practicing to perform better in the class. Let the instructors show you what you need to do once you are there. The vast majority of people will not pass on the first attempt. That shouldn't even be the goal. Learning is the goal. What you do after the class with this information is then up to you to implement.

Vie:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom