DIR- GUE Tec1 with CCR in the making?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mariosx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Weird thread, since no DIR question is asked, neither solid info is provided. It is only "rumors" but it might be worth discussing/checking within the GUE community.

I am a GUE-F Rec diver, working my way towards tec, and I was discussing options after a tec pass at a LDS. I was slightly bitching about Helium prices, with a GUE-I coming to support me, and continued saying that apparently there are already dicussions and "Tec 1 with a CCR-only option" is already in the making and a matter of time to become available as a class, given that helium prices increase and that already many GUE divers are stressing themselves to minimize the time spent at Tec1 level due to the costs.

I don't know if that's just one perspective and an estimation within GUE, or if indeed there is a collective aggreement and effort. In the second case I don't mind taking my time for a tec pass, and I see it (uninformed regarding any challenges/dangers of CCRs) a great way to increase the community, given that I have met enough divers with solid skills unwillingly going in separate ways with GUE due to GUE lacking an easier transition to CCR. I just hope it's not like this infamous "GUE wreck class" that there is interest for years, but no solid steps are taken.

Not sure if you also have any ideas and thoughts on the introduction of such class, or if you have heard anything supporting these "rumors".

Not sure if you also have any ideas and thoughts on the introduction of such class, or if you have heard anything supporting these "rumors".
Honestly, learning rebreather diving means quite a task load in itself. Doing it the GUE style would even mean more task load if not very skilled with doubles and stages and GUE procedures. I would not reccomend it to anyone.

AJ:
Honestly, learning rebreather diving means quite a task load in itself. Doing it the GUE style would even mean more task load if not very skilled with doubles and stages and GUE procedures. I would not reccomend it to anyone.
^ this. I felt like a complete noob the first half of the week during CCR1 and was soooo happy whenever I got to BO to the open circuit platform I knew and loved haha.

If the helium cost is reallllly that much of a problem in trying to bridge T1 to CCR1 then you can still "dilute" the experience dives with some long 30m/100' dives with 32+O2 and get a lot of the planning/ascent/gas switch/deco practice in, albeit you absolutely lose the mental experience of "I'm a ways from the surface and have limited/expensive gas that's going pretty quickly at depth".

The lessons learned regarding early transition to rebreathers are quickly being forgotten as the old guard retires or moves on.
What lessons are those?

What lessons are those?
Increased task loading, great potential for too fast too soon, increased risk due to inherent complexity of the rebreather and its failure modes.

The old DIR rules used to include “don’t dive a rebreather unless you need it”. It’s good advice.

Increased task loading, great potential for too fast too soon, increased risk due to inherent complexity of the rebreather and its failure modes.

The old DIR rules used to include “don’t dive a rebreather unless you need it”. It’s good advice.

How has the threshold for “need to” changed over time?

How has the threshold for “need to” changed over time?
If the current recommendations are helium for dives deeper than 100', no CCR until significant OC deco experience, and no CCR trimix without OC trimix experience, combined with the cost/availability of helium for OC, it's creating an impenetrable barrier for moving to CCR. Something will have to give.

If the current recommendations are helium for dives deeper than 100', no CCR until significant OC deco experience, and no CCR trimix without OC trimix experience, combined with the cost/availability of helium for OC, it's creating an impenetrable barrier for moving to CCR. Something will have to give.
Not really.

Dudes will drop 10k on a breather and that’s okay for some reason.

ROI is questionable. Esp when weighed against risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom