DIR- Generic My "unusual" experience with DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

This is my first post on ScubaBoard and I look forward to finding new friends here discussing anything about scuba diving! Sorry that this did not go to the Introduction sub-forum as I really want to discuss DIR with you guys.

I got my AOW before the pandemic and have not been dived at all since the Covid pandemic - during which I developed depression due to the quarantine and has since hoped to walk out of it via going back to scuba diving. A year ago I went back to diving with a local dive club, and staff there introduced me to DIR and GUE. The club did not have GUE instructors but had about 5-6 active members who were at least rec-pass, so we mostly learnt from each other. Throughout the time I picked up a few skills that I was unable to learn during my OW/AOW (eg. deploying DSMB, proper buoyancy control, trimming and how to properly "move back" underwater), and I was planning to challenge the Fundies with my buddy before September this year.

However, during this year I found myself being distanced from other divers I knew before the pandemic, most of whom not a member of this local club - a relative of mine (also a scuba diver plus freediver) even suggested I have been financially manipulated by this club and have become their revenue-generating machine. With the club I have spent about 2 months practicing kicking (so frog kick, back kick and helicopter kick) and triming, and have recently moved towards twinset and drysuit; people said with such time I could have already become a DM or at least Rescue, if I take these courses with another club. I sometimes shared videos of my training and new equipments online and received some feedbacks questioning why I did not buy some "standard scuba equipment", and instead buy something that could be "overcharged".

I did not call myself a big-hearted person due to my mental history. Practicing kicking and working towards a rec or tech pass is hard and hearing these words from other fellow divers make me sad, sometimes questioning what I shall do. It would be fantastic if you guys could give me some feedback eg. whether to continue my current training scheme, or switch to a different route of diving.

I think a lot of it comes down to what kind of diving you want to do and who you want to dive with. You mention some of your friends said you should look into Rescue and DM vs. DIR/GUE. Personally, unless you want to be a dive professional (DM or instructor) and work for a shop or yourself, I don't see a ton of value in going the DM route. And in my opinion, shops that push DM to newer divers are doing it for financial reasons and don't have your best interest in mind. On the other hand, it seems like you are learning good skills and techniques from this club (such as DSMB deployment, finning, back kicking, buoyancy control). Unfortunately, unless you have a great rec instructor, you won't really learn many of these skills in a traditional rec course. You will learn all of this and more with a DIR instructor or in GUE fundies and you will become a much more comfortable and confident diver.

As it relates to equipment, there is a reason DIR/GUE has their equipment setup the way they do vs. what you might see as "standard" in other agencies/groups. It works. From a simple reef dive to deep cave exploration, the configuration is streamlined and simple.

As a note, I am not a GUE diver. However, I began diving with, and was mentored by, people from GUE backgrounds and people who dive DIR when I began tech/cave diving because I was drawn to the philosophy and configuration.

First off, dont listen to other divers (unless they are telling you not to stick your finger into a light socket).

Point of diving is to have fun. You can never go wrong with a good GUE Fundies class. Pass/fail/provisional or any "training" with other GUE divers will make you a "better" diver, skill wise. Nothing wrong with having good buoyancy, trim, kicks, etc.

Should you decide to become a DM or take rescue, or any other further training, what you have learned from GUE will be a plus, not a minus.

Have fun.

The point of diving is to have fun, its a hobby. As you say, you want to get out more, and have relief to help you post pandemic, so do the diving you enjoy. If you enjoy the practicing and drilling, and it is getting you to do the diving you enjoy in lakes and the sea, fantastic! If it isn't doing the things you enjoy, but you like diving, change your dive buddies and circle.

I'm a member of a BSAC dive club and we do some fun trips, enjoy liveaboards and have a great time, I'm really lucky with that. I also dive with another circle of friends from GUE and we do some more challenging diving at times, enjoy socials, have fun and it works really well too. I use the same equipment set up with both groups, they're not mutually exclusive. I find my kit set up makes all my diving easier, and the skills I learned mean I can better enjoy the sites and wrecks we dive for.

Dive with the teams that work for you and allow you to do the fun stuff. Its a hobby, enjoy it.

Rich

@L2m

When I started out diving, I was told to stay away from GUE, that they're militaristic, no fun, etc.. Unfortunately I listened to them for a few years, but then I had heard enough about fundies that I gave it a try. Here's what I came away with. The local GUE community is incredibly friendly and supportive (mostly, always a few ... LOL). They are not miliaristic, but they have a process/philosophy with certain goals in mind. This includes having far better control in the water than what I was seeing elsewhere.

Unfortunately, mediocrity is the rule, not the exception in scuba. If you are posting videos where you are performing skills that the naysayers can only dream about having, well, there is going to be a backlash unfortunately.

The problem isn't you. The problem isn't GUE. The problem is them. I'd move on and focus my time on what I enjoy doing and people who add positive elements to my life.

Dear all,

Thank you all for your reply - which were all great supports for me to continue my scuba diving! I think my buddy is determined to book a Fundies before fall this year and there is no reason for me to drop off.

I think a lot of it comes down to what kind of diving you want to do and who you want to dive with. You mention some of your friends said you should look into Rescue and DM vs. DIR/GUE. Personally, unless you want to be a dive professional (DM or instructor) and work for a shop or yourself, I don't see a ton of value in going the DM route. And in my opinion, shops that push DM to newer divers are doing it for financial reasons and don't have your best interest in mind. On the other hand, it seems like you are learning good skills and techniques from this club (such as DSMB deployment, finning, back kicking, buoyancy control). Unfortunately, unless you have a great rec instructor, you won't really learn many of these skills in a traditional rec course. You will learn all of this and more with a DIR instructor or in GUE fundies and you will become a much more comfortable and confident diver.

As it relates to equipment, there is a reason DIR/GUE has their equipment setup the way they do vs. what you might see as "standard" in other agencies/groups. It works. From a simple reef dive to deep cave exploration, the configuration is streamlined and simple.

As a note, I am not a GUE diver. However, I began diving with, and was mentored by, people from GUE backgrounds and people who dive DIR when I began tech/cave diving because I was drawn to the philosophy and configuration.
Thank you for your advice. I think people around me suggested me to take DM because they thought I could then take scuba diving as a part-time job, probably during weekends. The dive shop suggested me to drill for GUE Fundies instead for exactly the same reason as you said on the first paragraph.

I took Fundies after I had AOW and Nitrox with about 40 dives so I wasn't going to be "certified" for anything new . I just wanted to improve because I just felt the "standard" scuba training was lacking. Like you have noticed, one doesn't even learn any propulsion techniques during OW or AOW. Yes, you could be a DM already as there are people going for DM and even Instructor with very low dive counts and mediocre skills. When I took Fundies, I was humbled. I saw how poor my skills were compared to GUE divers who could stay perfectly still underwater. However, in the class you be taught the skills to put you on the road to success.

It is great you are able practice with some GUE divers but I would recommend taking the course as soon as possible so you don't pick up any bad habits. I think it is better to learn the skills from an instructor and then you can go back and practice with your group. I am sure you feel like you want to wait and practice to be ready for the course and the Tec pass. I would forget that idea as only 30% receive a Tec pass on the first try. I would recommend just going for a Rec pass. You could then practice and in the future do the upgrade. Just forget those naysayers; in the words of Tony Horton; Do your best and forget the rest!

Commit to excellence!

DIR/GUE have some very good points and a couple of drawbacks. But for a beginner it is definitely good.
Here the positive points:
1) team approach. This is more strict and powerful than the basic buddy approach employed in other agencies
2) very strict safe procedures, bringing safety in front of enjoying the dive
3) standardisation of procedures, gas mixtures, equipment, etc.
4) focus on difficult environments, such as cold water, low visibility, wrecks, caves, deco dives, etc. When you are trained and safe in such difficult conditions, you usually are safe also in more easy conditions.
The negative parts are just two, in my opinion (and in other's opinion these are still positive facts):
1) no support for solo diving
2) ban of out-of-standard procedures and equipment.
As these are things which become safe to practice only after one thousand dives, they are of no concern for you.
And when you will progress to the point of contemplating these DIR-deprecated practices, you will have a very solid background on which you can count when **** happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom