dir-f question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're absolutely right about the swim tests being up to the instructor. We had to do 400m in 14 min, and a 60 foot u/w breath hold swim. Did it in a tiny pool, and weren't allowed to kick off on the turns either. FWIW

Mike

we did a 50-foot (ish... it was actually more like 60) underwater swim

look, i am a wus, a wimp, and non-athletic. i am an ex-smoker and my air
consumption is horrible (i.e. evidence of bad lungs). i haven't excercised,
other than diving, in like 10 years

and i managed to do it... it's really not that hard :wink:

Spoon:
i have the hardest time with free style becasue eveytime i raise my head for air, my gasping is not enough so i have a problem with sufficient air. although my propulsion much further than the doggie paddle i am comfortable doing becasue my head is up whole time. i admit its more tiring though. thing i dont like about the backstoke is that im paranoid cause i dont see where im going and cant swim in a straight line.
FWIW, I'm a self-taught swimmer as well. Probably a lot like you.

I'm actually working with a swim coach on proper freestyle technique for the feared DIR-F swim. Probably like diving or any other sport, good fundamentals and technique go a long way toward solving most problems. The main thing with freestyle is relaxing, trim in the water, and turning your head (opposite ear in the water) vs. raising your head for air. You are definitely right that a heads-up swim is way more tiring than freestyle, though you still need a fair degree of stamina to swim 300 yds freestyle. Which is the challenge I'm working on now. I figure if DIR says I need x amount of aerobic activity x times a week, what better than swimming for the exercise?

Mike Loyco:
You're absolutely right about the swim tests being up to the instructor. We had to do 400m in 14 min, and a 60 foot u/w breath hold swim. Did it in a tiny pool, and weren't allowed to kick off on the turns either. FWIW

Mike

i can barely hold my btearth still underwater for a minute. which was easier to do the 300 m swim or the 60 ft underwater breath hold? for the 60 underwtare breathhold how long were you under?

Birdies tell me that the swim test standard will be increased to 400 yards in 14 mins for fundamentals. The standards available online have not yet caught up. Still should not be a problem for anyone.

For me the 60ft underwater is harder than the swim. Technique is important for the breathhold (kick and glide, be patient).

One of the best preparations you can do for fundamentals, is not diving, but going to the gym and practicing your swims and breath hold swimming ahead of time in additiona to regular strength and cardio workouts.

mer:
Birdies tell me that the swim test standard will be increased to 400 yards in 14 mins for fundamentals. The standards available online have not yet caught up. Still should not be a problem for anyone.

For me the 60ft underwater is harder than the swim. Technique is important for the breathhold (kick and glide, be patient).

One of the best preparations you can do for fundamentals, is not diving, but going to the gym and practicing your swims and breath hold swimming ahead of time in additiona to regular strength and cardio workouts.

how many tries do you get for the uw breath hold? was wondering also if you could do the swim with mask and a snorkel?

Spoon, these questions are better answered by your instructor. All instructors will vary a little bit in the details, and none of us are authorities in any way on the matter so nothing we say here really carries any weight.

In my classes only person had a problem with the underwater swim, and he was more or less a complete non swimmer. I can barely swim and had no problems with it. Just take the class and don't get caught up in the "requirements" :)

I've seen them give people a second try at the breath hold. Haven't seen anyone not get it on the second try. In fact, one class everyone got 75' (full length) on the second try.

Swim, I don't think a mask and snorkel would fly. Googles okay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom