DIR-F (Singapore/Malaysia) Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Finally, I took the plunge and signed up for DIR-F. I had spent months reading various DIR-F reports on SB (and other sites), posted a lot of dumb questions in the DIR forum and PMed complete strangers—all of whom were kind enough to write back and patiently answered my questions. The consensus seemed to be that I should not worry about my diving abilities too much and definitely NOT try to practice any of the skills/drills by myself. I had two months before DIR-F and decided to concentrate on swimming/fitness and getting used to the various pieces of my DIR gear.

Two months went by very quickly. I swam regularly (at least once a day) for the first month but was extremely busy with work during the second month and started to neglect my daily exercise regime. I had logged eleven dives (in Pattaya and around Ko Tao, Thailand) with my bp/wing and felt pretty comfortable in the water. I started packing for the trip and began stressing about my level of fitness.

Received a PM from nagonoj (a photographer and publisher of maps), a ScubaBoard member based in Bangkok. We will be taking DIR-F together. This was good news.

Arrived in Singapore—luckily my best friend lived in the Lion City and so I had free accommodations for a week. Got settled in and prepared for class.

Monday. Arrived at Living Seas (The Riverwalk, 20 Upper Circular Road #01-20, Singapore 058416, tel: 65 6435-0436; www.livingseas.com.sg) nice and early. Gideon Liew (GUE instructor #50039) was already waiting. Paid the class fees and made sure all my GUE paperworks and required insurance were in order. My classmates began arriving. We were an eclectic mix—four Singaporean and a Thai, three women and two men; relatively experienced divers all. We introduced ourselves. “L” had been diving on and off since the mid ’80s. He is a vice president of a division of a major bank. “J” was completing her senior year in college and had been diving since the mid ’90s. “P” and “V” are secondary school teachers and have been diving for a while. I had been diving on and off for five years and felt a little intimidated but everyone was very nice and I quickly felt at ease. We were also introduced to Linda and Andrew Yong (who kept Living Seas running smoothly) and Raymond Oh (a PADI instructor and GUE intern), who will be Gideon’s assistant and our video guy.

The first two classes ran from 7 pm ’til late and Gideon started by introducing us to a brief history of the WKPP and the origin and structure of GUE and the DIR system. We were then introduced to the proper concepts of buoyancy/weighting and balance and trim, as well as the skills/techniques/drills required and Gideon explained the reasoning behind each idea/concept that he introduced. He also explained the logic behind training through repetition, building muscle memory and using video footage for review. I asked more stupid questions and Gideon patiently answered them all.

Tuesday. Gideon went over all the equipment we will be using and the logic behind each as they relate to streamlining and the skills/drills/procedures that make up the DIR approach—he also went over regulators, especially Apeks and Scubapro, and the logic behind not using side exhaust second stages in some detail. He also encouraged us to try any non-DIR equipment that we may already have during the upcoming pool session. Raymond and Gideon then helped us to fit our harnesses properly. P, V and L will be using rental aluminium plates and Pioneer 27 wings. J will stick to her Seac-Sub Icaro BC and I decided to try a 7-foot hose (I had been using a 5-foot hose for three years).

Wednesday. Nagonoj arrived from Bangkok. I felt overloaded with information from the first two classes and sat in with him as Gideon went over the first two classes again. We also discovered that we had exactly the same gear—Halcyon ss bp/Eclipse 30s and Apeks FSR/ATX200 regs; Gideon took this opportunity to explain why we should not have the Aqualung/Apeks Comfobite mouthpiece on the primary. As Gideon helped nagonoj with his harness adjustments, Raymond showed me how to attach boltsnaps to hoses and backup lights properly, as well as a good way to attach an MC storage pak so that I could still easily access the wing nuts that hold the STA and wing to the bp. We also compared reg setup—Raymond was using a Scubapro MK25/S600/R390 set up and the hose routing on the Scubapro is pretty sweet for single tank diving. My gf is already using a MK25/G250/R390 setup so in the interest of commonality, I am considering reverting back to my old MK20/S600 setup for single tank diving. Everybody then assembled at 1830 and we piled ourselves (and our gear) into a truck and headed for Outram Secondary School where we will have our pool session. We were joined by a few recent DIR-F graduates who will be using the pool to practice their skills in preparation for Tech 1. On the way, nagonoj and I talked about our jobs and discovered a shared appreciation for good typography.

At the pool, Raymond Oh took over and we did the swim/breath hold swim test—this went smoothly and I was quite relieved as I was quite worried about the breath hold swim. Gideon then took us through the dry runs for the propulsion techniques (frog kick, modified frog, modified flutter, backward kick and helicopter turn). After gearing up, we divided into two teams (men: L, nagonoj & Vie and ladies: J, P & V) and entered the water. Gideon briefed us on the procedures and we swam around the pool (trying to) maintaining our buoyancy and trim and practicing our kicks (and negotiated our ways around the PADI/SSI OW students that we shared the pool with) while Raymond operated a video camera. At the end of the night (after four 15–20 minute sessions in the pool), Gideon took us through a 1-minute descent/ascent drill.

Thursday—the dreaded video review. Everyone expected the worst but we didn’t look so bad in all honesty. I had a lot of problems with the backward kick and often found myself going upward instead of backward—ok, ok, I actually managed no backward movement at all most of the time! After many questions and suggestions/encouragement from Gideon (and MORE stupid questions from Vie), we spent a long and very informative night going through the pre-dive sequence, dive planning (SADDDDD, gas management and “rules,” the concept of Rock Bottom and SAC, calculations, etc.), “the Four Pillars of DIR” and working/diving safely as a team.

Friday. I made a visit to Silent Explorer (111A Jalan Basar, Singapore 028831, tel: 65 6299-6800; www.silentexplorer.com) and treated myself to a very nice (but seriously over priced) Halcyon Diver’s Notebook. I had never seen such vast quantities of the full range of Halcyon products assembled under one roof before—it was quite a sight. I also had the chance to hear Silent Explorer’s Wai-Mun Leung talk about her DIR experiences diving the HMS Repulse. That evening, with bags packed and travel documents in order—we and “G,” an Australian Tech 1 student (and a large group of recreational divers organized by Friendly Waters Seasports Services; http://www.friendlywaters.com.sg/), boarded a bus and headed into Malaysia. The journey ended up being a fun filled adventure as we discovered that the driver did not know his way around that part of Malaysia—we later found out that he didn’t know his way around Singapore either! We arrived at the docks very late at night (after almost driving into the sea by mistake) and boarded a boat headed for Divers’ Lodge, Pulau Aur (http://www.friendlywaters.com.sg/resort.html). We finally landed in the early hours of Saturday.

Saturday. After a nice breakfast, Gideon went over what we had to do and what he expected from us. The first dive was to familiarise us with the “Basic 5,” and controlled descent and ascent/deco as a team. Gideon also stressed that we must have good communication and situational awareness at all times (and this will be brought up again and again). We were then divided into the same two teams. Well into the dive and nicely holding station whilst maintaining my buoyancy and trim, I felt a bump on my left knee. I thought I had brushed up against some coral but a quick look showed that I was floating above the coral patch. A few bumps later and it turned out that my knee was the focus of an intense and determined attack by a small mauve fish (some kind of anthias?). We continued to practice the “Basic 5” and try to improve our kicks. It was obvious after the first dive that our teamwork (and my backward kick) needed a lot of work!

Second dive. S-drills and valve-drills were thrown into the mix. The current had picked up and pandemonium ensued during the first few S-drills. I lost my trim and was caught on video using my left hand as propulsion. I also had trouble reaching my valve and later the video showed that I had my head down which aggravated the problem. Gideon also pointed out that my Apeks DIN to yoke adaptor might be getting in the way. The team ascent/deco/awareness was also very problematic. It was obvious that the talented young women of the other team were kicking our butts. I also got in some practice deploying and using my Scout lights.

Dive three—Major improvements in all areas. L and I went through a nice S-drill watched by a cautious but curious bumphead parrotfish (Bulbometopon mericatum). Unfortunately, L’s primary was a Dacor Viper (side exhaust) second stage and I felt very uncomfortable breathing off of it—it breathed quite wet (worse than the Oceanic Omega 3 I had used during my OW certification dives years ago) and always felt like it was about to fall out of my mouth.

The last dive of the day ended and we watched the video before a nice barbecued dinner (later, it was nice to see that, even though he ate and drank very moderately, our instructor was not a teetotaling vegan). We had all improved greatly but there was much work to be done in all areas and Gideon gave everyone helpful advice and suggestions. We all got to know each other better during dinner and Gideon told us about his “journey” from a PADI/SSI instructor to technical diving with TDI and eventually how he found GUE and became tech and cave certified as well as a GUE instructor. Gideon also explained to me his take on the grades “fail,” “provisional” and “pass” as they apply to DIR-F. He then told us about his upcoming trip to dive a vertical wreck near Beirut. I also had an interesting discussion with Raymond about rebreathers (I have had limited experience with the Dräger Dolphin SCR) and the Halcyon approach (rule #5, the RB80 etc.). G and Gideon joined in and we talked about military rebreathers such as the LAR V and the use of very high PPO2.

Sunday—one of the boat engine was broken and we have a (twice as) long journey ahead to reach the mainland. We got up to a very early start as we had to leave earlier than originally scheduled. We practiced shooting the bag—another skill I have been dreading—and I actually found it very easy. We used a small Halcyon CC SMB. After each person has successfully shot and retrieved the SMB, we were all given the chance to use a Dive Xtras (standard body) X-Scooter (http://www.dive-xtras.com/index2.html) and put the crotch strap D-ring to use, watched by Raymond and G. It was an awesome experience. We then went over the skills and drills again and again (piling on the task loading) and ended with three S-drill ascent/deco (OOA horizontal ascents) per team—the last ascent had me donating my long hose to L AND calling stops/deco.

After the last dive, we packed our gear, showered and departed Pulau Aur. We watched the video on the boat and Gideon told us what we needed to work on and answered questions. He then spoke to us individually and I was very happy to be told that I had passed DIR-F, first time. After an incredibly long journey (where we managed to catch up on some well earned sleep), we got on the bus and headed back to Singapore. We reached Living Seas in the evening and went our separate ways—nagonoj and I made plans to continue diving and practicing together after we get back to Thailand.

Monday. I joined G and Gideon for coffee. Gideon was leaving the next day for Pulau Tioman where G and Raymond will go through Tech 1. Gideon explained to me what the Rec TriOx and Tech 1 classes involved and I promised him that I will work with nagonoj to improve our skills/techniques. We went over the many things that I will need to work on to improve my own diving. G also told me about his technical diving experiences and encouraged me to work towards progressing to Tech 1. Later, Raymond showed me his Barry Miller designed Salvo canister light. This started a conversation about alternatives to the big “H” and we discussed products offered by OxyCheq and DIR Zone.

Having experienced DIR-F and the DIR approach to diving safely as a team, I can confidently say that my enthusiasm for diving has increased (which I didn’t think was possible) and I hope to return to Singapore soon to participate in a TriOx class (Gideon told me that he felt I was ready for Tech 1 but it would benefit me to go through Rec TriOx to familiarise myself with diving doubles, using a canister light, gas theory etc., as well as get more DIR dives under my belt). I certainly hope that I will have more opportunities to dive with all the wonderful people that I met during “Fundies” again soon—we certainly had a lot of fun.

that was a great read. congrats again. by the way it is so hard to go back to the old ways and to dive with divers who havent yet seen the light. we are the minority down here but i hope as time goes by more divers will catch on and see the light

Sounds like you had fun the hard thing now is finding like minded divers. It took a while here in australia but it is now taking off with www.dir.com.au and some other groups getting organised.
vie check out some of the videos on this website mostly Australian caves.

maccajim:
Sounds like you had fun the hard thing now is finding like minded divers.

Indeed—if there are any DIR divers based in Thailand, nagonoj and Vie would love to hear from you!

maccajim:
It took a while here in australia but it is now taking off with www.dir.com.au and some other groups getting organised.
vie check out some of the videos on this website mostly Australian caves.

I’ll check them out. Thanks. And thank you so much again for answering my DIR-F related PMs.

Vie:
Dive three—Major improvements in all areas. L and I went through a nice S-drill watched by a cautious but curious bumphead parrotfish (Bulbometopon mericatum). Unfortunately, L’s primary was a Dacor Viper (side exhaust) second stage and I felt very uncomfortable breathing off of it—it breathed quite wet (worse than the Oceanic Omega 3 I had used during my OW certification dives years ago) and always felt like it was about to fall out of my mouth.

Correction: when I wrote about my experience using the Oceanic Omega 3 second stage, I actually meant to write Oceanic Omega II.

Correction: Gideon Liew’s assistant is Raymond Goh (NOT Raymond Oh)—apologies, Raymond!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom