DIR Fanatics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarhead,

The long hose doesn't change in length in relation to a diver's height. The reason is that a long hose can still be effectively routed on a short diver, but a short hose may not give enough length in a restriction. As you said you don't cave dive, I would reccomend just going with the five foot hose. This is plenty for open water as you shouldn't be going through any restrictions where the extra two feet would be necessary, but will give ample room for a low on air/air sharing swim to an ascent line or other safe place where both divers can surface on their own air. In an OOA emergency, the extra length will eliminate the stress added by two divers in unnatural positions caused by a standard length hose.
IRT Wendy's post, that's probably in the DIR gear giude section. Maybe "Evolution of DIR Principles." I haven't checked this out though. Hope all this helps.

TEX

I think if you have a canister light then you would still want to go with the 7' hose, but if you are just doing ow diving and have no canister light then the 5' hose should be ok.

On the GUE website if you do a search for certain words it shows every section that that word is mentioned and a link. I found a lot of sections that I haven't seen before by doing this.

I usually stay out of DIR topics but as I just spent a couple of hours reading "DIR-The fund of better diving", I think I will add this. According to JJ (page 56) under "Can I still dive DIR while using a short hose....", he states the following- "In contrast, rec DIR divers do not need a long hose...." Guess you can use a short hose and still be DIR if the dive conditions do not require a long hose.

spoil the whole bunch! You have to realize that just as there are different levels of devotion in traditional rec diving, that there are just as broad a spectrum of attitudes/devotion in DIR divers. Some rely on a real understanding of what they dive and do not seem to be offended by honest rational inquiries. Some rely on a cult like mentality and will defend beyond rational reason their loyalty to their system and each other.

It's sort of like Christianity in the Middle Ages... their concept of "love and compassion" includes burning heretics at the stake. Personally, I think they are on to something, but some of their more aggressive members take delight in belittling and harassing others to distraction. Why in the world would I want to emulate such a person? Diving be damned, I do not want to end up a cretin! While I do feel that a couple (and really only a few) have "singled me out", I do not judge the whole movement on the actions of a few.

Unfortunately, I have been marked as "anti-DIR", and so that makes any and all posts by me as heretical, and me as having committed the unpardonable sin. That is simply not the case, though they will charge that I am biased beyond belief. I am NOT anti-DIR, though I find the attitudes and methods of some of their devotees reprehensible. Maybe one day, I will connect with a kinder, gentler DIR devotee that will actually take the time to answer questions and have the guts to say, "Gee, I really don't know why, we just do it that way!" Maybe they will even dive with me and help me to set up the gear properly. Until such time as I see someone that I can respect up close, there is no way I could embrace such a system.

Pipedope put it best... "DIR is a great system that is being ruined by it's followers". (Yeah, that's a paraphrase).

BTW, the question that was asked was NOT answered... Scuba_guy asked for data on the failure rate of the OMS manifolds. A theory was proferred... and a good one at that, but no one has said yes we have a study or no we don't. Mostly invective directed at someone who asked a simple question. And now directed at me (of course) for pointing that out.

Originally posted by MikeS
I don’t understand the mentality of DIR fanatics that treat any question in reference to DIR as heresy and immediately resort to name calling and insults. If they truly feel that DIR is a superior system why not join an open and civil dialog to help others see the benefits?

However, a DIR equipment configuration requires quite a financial investment that I am not ready to make yet. In the mean time I intend to keep learning and evolving my equipment configuration as I grow as a diver.

What was accomplished by calling him a troll? I think such an attitude ‘scares off’ people from asking questions, and isn’t asking questions and learning the purpose of the board?

Hi Mike,
1) Poking someone in the nose before you ask a question is not the best way to get an answer... nor can it be considered civil dialog to start a conversation by calling someone a fanatic...

2) Yes the DIR equipment config requires quite a financial investment... but it is worthless without the training... I see folks all the time who plunk down a bundle of dough for gear... sometimes crappy gear and sometimes really good gear... but if they are rototillers what good does it do?

3) Some folk need scarin' off...

If you or anyone else has a ligitimate question asked with common courtesy & respect you will get reasoned answers from many on this board.... if you just want to argue you will get an argument.

I have spent an enormous amount of time in PMs helping people who were asking questions... (some apologizing for bothering me)... and never made any feel that I was anything but happy to give them whatever advise I could.

Now let me open up the can~o~worms all the way: GUE trained divers are superior divers in every respect. You can buy the DIR gear... you can read the DIR articles on the net... but without the GUE DIR training you really don't have a clue. Call me a DIR fanatic. :D

This post has been edited out as an apology to NetDoc (Pete)...
What should have been a PM unfortunately ended up here...

Some folks enjoy starting little flame wars but it really is no fun when feeling get inflamed and the burns last a long time in some cases...

So let's try to keep our DIR debates factual and without invictive.

In defence of the DIR people...

...it takes two to have an argument. I've seen just as much fanaticism from the other side of the fence.

Most of the arguments are about gear. Gear is expensive, so everyone wants to believe they've made the right choices, whether they're using a backplate and wings or a jacket-style BC, a long hose or an octopus in the golden triangle. There don't seem to be nearly as many threads about diving practises... which is a shame, in my opinion. Gear is important, but it isn't the only thing that matters.

Zept

I have read some of GUE/DIR webpage and have learned some info. I can't make a 100 % honest and complete decision on DIR because I have not yet taken the time to learn more about it.
What I have learned as far as DIR goes is that the diving practices and equipment configuration make a lot of sense and no doubt will make you a better diver. This appears to be geared more to the techie divers then the rec divers. What I have found over the last 3 or so months on reading posts and from one on one information is like NetDoc says some of the members come across like they are cult members, ( you ever go to an Amway meeting)?? Same kinda mentality. A little like a religious cult. Too bad that is the impression that is being read into some of these divers and I am not alone in that feeling, I have heard others also state that because overall I think even though I am not a DIR diver, I think it does elevate your diving ability.

no kink in my short octo hose when I donate it - how? Well it's a scubapro R380 and I have swapped it to be left sided. This confused the hell out of an AI candidate even though I had explained it to him and showerd it - good job the 380 breaths good upside down......

Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonathan
no kink in my short octo hose when I donate it - how? Well it's a scubapro R380 and I have swapped it to be left sided. This confused the hell out of an AI candidate even though I had explained it to him and showerd it - good job the 380 breaths good upside down......

Jonathan

That sounds wayyy too much a troll to miss.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom