DIR for Metrosexual and "Happy" people?

Is there a market for colorful DIR gears?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • No, black is the only color needed

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No, it is not DIR compliant

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • No, not over my (yours?) dead body

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You think DIR divers don't have a fun side? :)
Yes, but the rider has bad trim!

Is that your version of riding a seahorse??

I've long been lusting after the orange Jet equivalents that you can buy in Japan. They'd go with my bright orange doubles wing, and my orange gloves. A tiger striped hood would be nice, too . . .

it is possible I could have someone get you a pair if you really want them ...
has to be soon though.

But... but... I thought ponies weren't DIR. :D

Incidentally, ever thought of rewebbing your plate with orange webbing? The pink webbing I have on mine is working out nicely. :biggrin: (The day I have a diver in my charge that mistakes someone else for me is the day I start replacing all the pink with *plaid*. :D)

I'd LIKE to reweb it in orange, but I haven't been able to find the right kind of webbing in that color. I was admiring my buddy's red harness yesterday, but red clashes with my gloves.

The beret makes them all look like 'frogs'. To bad.

Nothing like a formation squinting into the sun in unison. Those brims were there for a reason.

If special ops divers used fuschia, taupe and chartreuse dive gear, tech divers would go rainbow, not until then.

Jets.jpg

Anything is possible.

Do Dork Divers have an obsession with DIR? Were you folks flogged with a long hose as a child? It seems there are more references to DIR in this forum than in the DIR forum.

Do Dork Divers have an obsession with DIR? Were you folks flogged with a long hose as a child? It seems there are more references to DIR in this forum than in the DIR forum.

Opposite attracts....

Yes, I dream of being flogged with a long hose by a man in black while I am wearing my pink snorkel.

Do Dork Divers have an obsession with DIR?
Some may, I suppose, but I find it completely irrelevant. (In fact, I find it a little annoying when the occasional assumption slips in that would seem to lump all non-rec-standard gear into classifications such as "DIR" or "tech" -- after all, *I* dive a drysuit, BP/W, and such. I don't let it bug me much, obviously. :biggrin:)

Perhaps some of it may be that some divers are intimidated by non-rec-standard gear. As far as *my* gear goes, that's actually part of the reason I have all the pink (webbing, DSS bungee wrist mounts, etc). When we're out on checkout dives with fresh-from-the-pool students, if they saw a big divemasterly guy diving this strange metal plate with seatbelts on it or something, it might be intimidating to some (although most will be ambivalent at worst or even curious at best).

The pink gear pretty much eliminates any chance that they'll think of me as some uber-diver, and with that misconception out of the way, most students aren't intimidated at all. It leads to a situation where they seem to feel much more comfortable asking questions and talking about why I dive something different. ("Well, if he's wearing all this outlandishly pink stuff, he must not be shy or anything, so I guess it's safe to talk to him.") Of course, it probably scares the macho manly-man divers away, but if they're that insecure in their masculinity, they're likely not receptive to gear suggestions anyway. :rofl3:

The vast majority of the divers I've met who have gone beyond "normal" recreational gear are actually having a blast, and almost all of them would enjoy talking to new divers (usually at too great a length, but at least we don't start showing home videos). Perhaps if more would have colorful gear, it would make everyone else feel more comfortable around us all, but aesthetics are often of almost no concern to a diver at that level. The main thing is that it works, anything else if lagniappe, and there may just not be much time and effort to spare on lagniappe.

(So, since black is perfectly acceptable, it's generally all that's stocked. It's simply less overhead that way. Still, you can always call Tobin and have him make you a camo wing like NetDoc's, or you can re-web your harness with any of a wide variety of webbings, should you find one that fits your personal style.)

Oh, incidentally, 24940, what was used for the yellow on those Jets? I've been pondering how to decorate mine (other than the collection of various colorful zip ties currently adorning them).

ClayJar, you are precisely right . . . Which is the reason I glory in my funky blue and white Mobby's dry suit with the black pockets on the thighs, and my bright orange doubles wing, and my orange gloves. My mission in life is to show people that you can dive the way I do and not be boring or humorless or dressed all in black. Diving's about joy and adventure and exploration and FUN; Cameron Martz put it beautifully when he said, "There are times in diving to be dead serious, but the rest of the time, you should be laughing so hard that it hurts." (And Cameron, btw, is borg central DIR.)

Wear pink! Do hooligan deco! But dive a rational gear configuration, work on your skills, practice emergency procedures, and dive as a team. You can do all those things and have a ton of fun. I know, because I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom