DIR for Metrosexual and "Happy" people?

Is there a market for colorful DIR gears?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • No, black is the only color needed

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No, it is not DIR compliant

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • No, not over my (yours?) dead body

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, you all forgot about the direst among the dir wings....I want one!!!!!!!!!!

Mania_in_love.jpg

Mania

Hmm... "Halcyon Rental Program"? So, is the yellow so that nobody will want to keep it? :D

Some may, I suppose, but I find it completely irrelevant. (In fact, I find it a little annoying when the occasional assumption slips in that would seem to lump all non-rec-standard gear into classifications such as "DIR" or "tech" -- after all, *I* dive a drysuit, BP/W, and such. I don't let it bug me much, obviously. :biggrin:)
I dive similar and am an OW Instructor, so I can not be DIR.

Perhaps some of it may be that some divers are intimidated by non-rec-standard gear. As far as *my* gear goes, that's actually part of the reason I have all the pink (webbing, DSS bungee wrist mounts, etc). When we're out on checkout dives with fresh-from-the-pool students, if they saw a big divemasterly guy diving this strange metal plate with seatbelts on it or something, it might be intimidating to some (although most will be ambivalent at worst or even curious at best).
I've heard the " scare the students" line and don't buy it. I use rental jackets in the pool, with standard short hoses and console, so I can demonstrate with the same gear as students. Prior to OW, I break out my rig. It has one first stage, a primary second stage, a secondary second stage, a pressure gauge, a bladder with a power inflator and a lower dump, a plate to secure the tank to and straps to secure my body to. I also use a weight belt.... Not really so different from any other rig, is it? The students don't think so.
Oh, incidentally, 24940, what was used for the yellow on those Jets? I've been pondering how to decorate mine (other than the collection of various colorful zip ties currently adorning them).
Liquid Epoxy, Tool Dip, Tool Kote and several other names for it. It should be easy to find in any hardware store. I clean the surface with MEK(Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and used a sponge type paint brush to apply. It works well with templates, as well and comes in a variety of colors. Of course, black is my favorite color. I use it to dip all those Dork Diver colors and render them all DIR black. In fact, the jets are pure yellow, but I dipped em black before adding the yellow. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom