DIR Fundamentals comes to Phoenix!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I would like to point out that I do not have a problem paying you one dime MHK. I personally feel that you deserve more for your time, 225 for you to spend 3 days teaching is imo alot less than what you should get. I know the exact breakdown of the pricing, It's not that I cannot afford the class, in the beggining the class was 300 + expenses, which I have no problem with at all, I do have a problem paying a dive shop, that I will never be in again after the class. for doing nothing. I'm still payin for fills, lake fees, and anything else. For 8 hours of classroom time we could hold it at the phoenician for $300. I apologize for makin any of you feel like I was targeting you as "padding your pockets" especially you MHK. That was not my intent. When I read a certain post it sure seemed like a dig on me so I defended my position.

edited...not sure how that got posted...sorry.

SA

I think it was because I am in a hurry trying to get to an appointment.

newdiverAZ once bubbled...
First I would like to point out that I do not have a problem paying you one dime MHK. I personally feel that you deserve more for your time, 225 for you to spend 3 days teaching is imo alot less than what you should get. I know the exact breakdown of the pricing, It's not that I cannot afford the class, in the beggining the class was 300 + expenses, which I have no problem with at all, I do have a problem paying a dive shop, that I will never be in again after the class. for doing nothing. I'm still payin for fills, lake fees, and anything else. For 8 hours of classroom time we could hold it at the phoenician for $300. I apologize for makin any of you feel like I was targeting you as "padding your pockets" especially you MHK. That was not my intent. When I read a certain post it sure seemed like a dig on me so I defended my position.

No worries, nor no apology necessary. Often times I speak to a wider audience then the actual poster so since I've heard similar comments from other's I thought I'd use this post to address the issue in total..

We try very hard to balance a fair price to students and a fair price to our instructors. Some feel it's too much, other's feel it's too little and most feel our fee is fair, so we do the best we can and hope for the best. I also wanted to take the opportunity to mention that I think supporting local dive shops is the backbone of our industry and absent the LDS I'd shutter at where our industry would be, so I try to do what I can to show public support for the LDS's that take the risks, put in the time and service the industry more often then not as a labor of love.. If they need to charge a fee for overhead I believe strongly they are entitled, but as we have just concluded our issues are water under the bridge so hopefully we can put a period on this sentance, and I appreciate the PM that you sent me. AFAIK, the matter is behind us..

Later

I also have a problem with paying the LDS. Especially that one, I have had the pleasure of being drilled about which LDS I use what C-card I have and why both where not as good as what he could offer. I don't know about you guys but thats not the way to get my business. Again like Brian I would have no problem paying any of the instructors with GUE. In my opinion they could and should charge more for there services... And yes Brian is a Friend of mine and my dive buddy so back off... Now go ahead and flame away.

Blue Space once bubbled...
I also have a problem with paying the LDS. Especially that one, I have had the pleasure of being drilled about which LDS I use what C-card I have and why both where not as good as what he could offer. I don't know about you guys but thats not the way to get my business. Again like Brian I would have no problem paying any of the instructors with GUE. In my opinion they could and should charge more for there services... And yes Brian is a Friend of mine and my dive buddy so back off... Now go ahead and flame away.

Brandon,

I don't know but I suspect that you may be talking about the wrong shop. Scuba Specialties is on Bell Rd. and offers PADI certs.
They are about as laid back as you can get. No one at that shop would ding you on your C-card brand...I assure you.

Now there is another shop where I personally have had that same exact accusation leveled at me by the owner. I have heard that tale about that same place by several others. Your comment sounds like his mode of operation.

I don't mean to crack on this other shop...I know they have many fine instructors and teach great SSI courses. I just hate to see a case of mistaken identity.

SA

I don't get why some think that it's OK for an instructor to charge for their services but it isn't OK for a LDS to charge for its services. Do you guys honestly think that $30 per student to rent a classroom for the weekend, promote the class, field inquiries over the phone, and take credit card payments is too much. Why do you think that a business should give those sevices away? So that they can earn your business selling gear? Maybe they expect to make something on the front end. Shouldn't that be their call?

Besides, I thought it was worth the 30 bucks for those things. Yah, we could do it at my house...but I thought it would be better to have all the things that the shop could offer.

Oh, BTW, I don't think we could have gotten the Phoenician for a $120.

SA

Your right I was thinking of the wrong shop it was actually Scuba Sciences not Scuba Specialties I apologize for the mix up. As far as giving the LDS $30 bucks for the use of the pool and class I feel is not necessary. IMHO I would think the possibility of the students buying gear would out way the measly $30 pool fee. I would think that after the class there would be a few in the market for some new gear. Just my .02 cents.

Blue Space once bubbled...
Your right I was thinking of the wrong shop it was actually Scuba Sciences not Scuba Specialties I apologize for the mix up. As far as giving the LDS $30 bucks for the use of the pool and class I feel is not necessary. IMHO I would think the possibility of the students buying gear would out way the measly $30 pool fee. I would think that after the class there would be a few in the market for some new gear. Just my .02 cents.

Thanks for correcting that. The guys at my shop are really a good bunch.

I agree that it would have been nice if they would have volunteered the use of the shop...but I can understand where they are coming from.

Maybe in better times they would have done so...but I think that they have given so much stuff away and not seen a return on it that they now feel that they should charge for all of their services. That's fair, I think.

Besides, they don't carry the major supplier of DIR gear and they probably think that they would not be able to sell much gear related to this class. I disagree. There is a lot of stuff that DIR divers use that's not made by Halcyon that this shop carries. Some really cool stuff. But it's a shame that we can't get Halcyon. Unfortunately, another dealer in town has that line.

Let's all go diving...

Steve

I.m real confused as to why anyone would have a problem paying a LDS for suppling a class room & pool for this class. This ties up the space & prevents them from using it for making a profit. The last time I looked, profit was the main reason for owning a business. If it makes you feel better THAT OTHER SHOP charges $50 per student for the DIRF class, & it is full for the next two classes. If you want quality classes, & GUE is the best, then you pay a little more to the instructors and the facility that sponsers them, that way the instructor makes some and the store will be willing to have them back.

John Sampson
Phoenix, Az

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom