DIR Fundamentals & Dress for Success. Still up to date?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering ordering these books just to get a better idea of what the hell people here are talking about half the time. I'm not planning to go the "DIR" way, but I think I could pick up some diving tips from these books.

However, I've read some posts which suggest that these books may be a little out of date, and that there may better advise available on the net. Thoughts?

Does anyone know if newer editions are coming out any time soon? Are these books still worth it, or is better way for me to learn about the unknown unknowns. You see, the problem is that I don't know what I don't know so I cannot google or search this forum for these types of unknowns. I just don't want to order if new editions are just about to be released.

editted title: dress for success, instead of dress to kill.

All The Books On There Are Good... Dress For Success Was Just Realeased A Few Months Ago

I just got both these books last month. Both are excellent. And as mentioned, the Dress for Success was copywritten in 2004.

The fundamentals book has no issues that I know of how ever the Dress for success book has some minor issues. While I havent read the "dress to kill" :D book yet I have followed several discussions regarding the errors in the book.

“Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving” is in serious need of a second edtion. “Dress For Success” contains some information that is already out of date. This is because the DIR system/philosophy is constantly evolving and I would still recommend these two books (not to mention that these are the only GUE books available). DIR Quest and Quest List are better sources for current DIR thinking.

salty:
The fundamentals book has no issues that I know of ...
Well, from what I read, there's always minor changes.

For example, HID wire under- no, over- no, whatever...

salty:
The fundamentals book has no issues that I know of how ever the Dress for success book has some minor issues. While I havent read the "dress to kill" :D book yet I have followed several discussions regarding the errors in the book.
I am unaware of the alleged errors in the Dress for Success book. I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that I don't know what they are.

As with any first edition, I imagine that there might be some adjustment needed that would be included in the next edition. By the way, I've read the book and was quite impressed with it.

Could you give us some examples of the minor issues that you mention?

Thanks.

Christian

What are the problems in the books that you guys see ??? And i dont think there has been any major changes in order for a book to be redone

headhunter:
Could you give us some examples of the minor issues that you mention?
Christian:
The light cord, which was mentioned above, is one issue. I dont rember the rest but Im sure they will be mentioned by others shortly.

As some one already mentioned the books are a good read but the best source is the on line list's that are set up for DIR only.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom