DIR FUNdamentals report (LONG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott:
Jonathan, how was your experience different? Do you have a review somewhere I missed, or care to explain a little?

I've not got time to say much as I am meant to be packing - and not for a diving holiday mores the pity.

I think the salient point of why I was not happy with the course boils down to that it did not live up to what the DIR internet fan base builds it up to be.

I do not think the course (certainly as I experienced it) was good value for money except maybe if you were considering a tech course as a compulsory cross over.

For recreational diving find a good instructor and do the rescue course and maybe PPB if you think you are a bit ropey there.

I admit that since the course I probably have better trim and buoyancy - but I think that comes more from hours of feeling like a goldfish...

Still that is me out of the water now for a few months until I get another pass from the boss _ anyway the viz is garbage now!

jonathan

Uncle Pug:
I just talked with another fellow who was in your class Will... he was the buddy of the doubles diver.

Oh yeah? Cool, I'm so terrible with names, ack, I hate that...

One of these days we will have to get all of us together up there and go dive for a day :wink:

I think my next purchase is going to have to be a new Thinsulate undergarment. With how cool I get on a dive with 3 layers of fleece, the amount of weight I'm carrying, and how much the undergarment compresses at depth (making my wing a giant ballon of air) it's probably the smartest next move... They aren't cheap unfortunately, I called my shop and he said suggested retail on the 400 weight is $418, then said for me, probably 35-40% off that (SWEET!) which would make it about $272-$251, much better but still an ouch. Thats just for a standard size too, not a special production, which might be better for me, easily add another $100 for that.

Jonathan:
I think the salient point of why I was not happy with the course boils down to that it did not live up to what the DIR internet fan base builds it up to be.
Actually, I understand what you're saying here Jonathan.

I never posted a report for my class after taking it last April. While I did find the class worthwhile, I didn't have the "OH MY GOD!" sort of mind-altering experience that some folks have posted about.

I didn't find the class exceptionally hard or humbling... challenging, most definitely, but not impossible. Not anything that I couldn't ever aspire to achive, though.

I actually talked about this in class on the last day. I went in with a certain expectation, and what I expected wasn't what happened. I think the biggest thing for me was that after the class and talking with RJ and Sonya I really started believing that I was becoming a decent diver, something that other folks I dive with were already telling me.

Boy, re-reading the last couple paragraphs, they make me sound like an arrogant a$$. I can't think of any other way to say what I mean though. I'm really a nice, friendly guy!

Jimmie

Uncle Pug:
Jimmie... if you ever need a reality check... let me know. In fact... there may be a surprise coming your way. :wink:
I'm not sure if you mean for diving or for being an arrogant a$$... but either way I'm always open to a reality check! :chillin6:

As far as the surprise goes... well I guess you can't give me advance warning, then it wouldn't be a surprise! :wink:

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom