DIR (HOG) harness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver:
I am currently still using a back inflate bc (knighthawk) but am moving to a bp/w setup asap but on my bc I have a chest strap and I have tried diving with and with out a chest stap but prefer to dive with it. I feel more secure with the chest and crotch straps.

The crotch strap is certainly a must for a hog harness to work effectively. But not necessary the case for the chest strap when you rig your harness properly. I had a similar thought as you when I first switched to a BP/Wing system so I went with a DiveRite TransPlate. After a few dives, I went out and get myself a few meters for weight belt nylon straps and convert the harness to the standard webbing. I have to say that I wished I went directly with the webbing without spending all those extra on the TransPlate which I didn't need.

NorthWoodsDiver:
So why is it a no-no to have a chest strap on a DIR rig.

As with all other gears, if you don't need, don't use it.

so whats the consensus on D-rings. are the 90 degree and 45 degree welded ones okay, what about the DSS/Golem ones that are 1 piece and waterjet cut. I think I want to get the DSS kind but I cant find anyone with experience with them. Thanks

NorthWoodsDiver:
so whats the consensus on D-rings. are the 90 degree and 45 degree welded ones okay, what about the DSS/Golem ones that are 1 piece and waterjet cut. I think I want to get the DSS kind but I cant find anyone with experience with them. Thanks

NWD,

Take a long look at a basic Hogarthian Harness.

Tobin

I agree with the majority "if you don't need, don't use it";
however, for myself I am not following DIR all the way.

The shoulder pads to me, is not so useful UW, rather it's for on land. Again, it's a 100% correct if you follow the DIR and other experience users, but for myself, I added it because I do not like the feeling of the pressure on my shoulders esp when I came back up to the boat. I read about the postings from other users -- the material has to be chosen so that it won't get soaked. So I am using the standard harness plus two additional shoulder pads. I have chest strap attached at the pad stripe, but I never use it.

Charles R:
Who has plastic buckles and padding? If you look @ DSS, Halcyon, & OMS none of these Hog harnesses have any plastic buckles or any padding @ all it is 1 continuous piece of webbing.

The continuous harness doesnt have any buckles but the comfort harness and comfort harness 2 that OMS makes have plastic buckles and padding..

Steve R:
lol.

there's no end to what stroke-**** OMS will sell you.

Have a look at plastic in the "Standard Harness":

http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/OMS_Standard_Harness_Manual.pdf

They also sell harnesses with padding, and something called an IQ pack, which I guess is to make fun of the people that are buying it lol :crafty: I guess it's kinda comfy if you're going to sleep in it overnight or something......

Look at their " Continuous One piece Harness"
http://www.omsdive.com/harness2.html

HOG harness is DIR, but you don't need to be DIR to use one.

You prefaced your post with "DIR", so the replys you get may be limited to DIR practices.
If you want an open dialogue, this is the correct forum, but don't ask for the DIR response. If you want a DIR response, you should have posted in the DIR forum.

Steve R:
lol.

there's no end to what stroke-**** OMS will sell you.

Have a look at plastic in the "Standard Harness":

http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/OMS_Standard_Harness_Manual.pdf

They also sell harnesses with padding, and something called an IQ pack, which I guess is to make fun of the people that are buying it lol :crafty: I guess it's kinda comfy if you're going to sleep in it overnight or something......

I agree that many OMS products are a bit heavy in design. The IQ and "Comfort Harness" are too cumbersome for most but there is no problem with their wings or backplates. .

That is what you see most of the time here in Ny/Nj. OMS gear.

And OMS will sell you a single piece of 2" webbing as well as the d-rings, slides....

Oxycheq, Apeks and Dive rite also market IQ clones and "comfort" or "deluxe" type harnesses.
And DSS offers a harness with a chest strap and (gasp) a plastic buckle.
Unfair to slam OMS for marketing products which people want. And a HOG harness is nothing more than a single piece of 2" webbing after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom