DIR, NAUI TEC - Gear configs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And since a 3 person "team" can quickly end up as a cluster, you might want to practice solo tech diving, with all its independent redundancy (2 computers), in case you end up alone and separated from your GUE buddies.

TRAINED 3 person teams are a pleasure, and I have no need, and no intention of practicing solo diving. In the last 400 or so dives, I've had one separation event, and it was as the result of a strong updraft in current along a wall. We executed the buddy separation protocol, and reunited about 20 feet above where we started.

One of the worst local DCS cases I know was with someone who wouldn't touch Ratio Deco with a ten foot pole. NO decompression strategy works for all people and all dives. Decompression is to a frightening extent voodoo, and RD works as well as anything else does, if properly understood and implemented, at least as far as I can tell.

I don't know why I've gotten sucked into this -- It comes under the category of mud wrestling with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig enjoys it.

....And since a 3 person "team" can quickly end up as a cluster, you might want to practice solo tech diving, .

Even I don't think that is a good reason to practice solo tech diving!!! :shakehead::shakehead:

I read most of the pages in this topic but i cannot find how it is with lenght of hoses. I don't know in agreement with recognize how should be lenght the hose of the primary regulator. It is just subjective or there is some recommendation? thx. ps: sorry for bad EN

You might need a snorkel sometime, when you are in the open water. So just make sure you have one somewhere, in a cargo pocket or someplace on your person. GUE-DIR does not emphasize that, since GUE consists of cave protocols, and in caves a snorkel would never be needed since you are never out at sea.
C'mon ..I am a freediver, so if anyone doing tech or rec diving should see the value of a snorkel, it would be me....but in practice, we are doing dives several miles from shore, and the plan is to have the boat follow our flags( drift diving). The only way I can even imagine using a snorkel, would be if it was "my plan" to swim back to shore, instead of letting the boat take me back. For 100% of the recreational or tech dives we have in South Florida, a snorkel is in the way...you don't need it on the surface, and you certanly did not suck your tank dry, necessitating the snorkel use -- to swim 10 feet to the boat when it stops :)

Deco issue...in open ocean tech dives, **** can happen--someone could get punctured or injured on wreck, whatever the emergency, one reason we limit our 280 foot dives to around 25 minutes, is so that we "can" drastically modify/shrink deco if an emergency occurs...you can blow off a huge amount of this kind of typical deco obligation, in an emergency, and then you would get out of the water and be on your 100% O2.
Of course, "normally" each of us has a specific plan for our bottom time and deco profile--I am just talking about emergency scenarios in the open ocean. And No one I have dived with has ever suffered a "hit" on one of our ocean dives...if someone you know had a "hit", I would need to hear what they did...but that still does not change the fact that you have to treat the ocean as a dynamic environment, where things CAN change.....storms/injuries/etc. A deco weenie who insists on 2 hour deco no matter what is happening, CAN NOT dive with us.

And since a 3 person "team" can quickly end up as a cluster, you might want to practice solo tech diving, with all its independent redundancy (2 computers), in case you end up alone and separated from your GUE buddies.

Yikes!!! If you have a 3 person team of good DIR divers, you will not have a "cluster****" ...... in other words, if you have this, it means you just buddied up to 2 other people who don't have your skills and buddy behavior ideas--so you SHOULD NOT have buddied up with them for a tech dive. And certainly, it would make good sense to dive with "new DIR buddies" a few times on recreational dives, to see how well everyone fits your expectations.

Regards,
Dan V

You might need a snorkel sometime, when you are in the open water. So just make sure you have one somewhere, in a cargo pocket or someplace on your person. GUE-DIR does not emphasize that, since GUE consists of cave protocols, and in caves a snorkel would never be needed since you are never out at sea.
Nonsense ... if you know how to manage your gas properly there is never a reason to need a snorkel while scuba diving. I've managed to log more than 2,000 dives in just about every conceivable condition without ever wishing I had one.

And I sure would not depend on GUE's "deco on the fly." Most of the people whom I know ended up in the hyperbaric recompression chambre were using this when they got hit. They always blame themselves by saying "something must be wrong with me because deco on the fly should have worked."

But it does not work, at least not very well.
More utter nonsense ... and it's quite obvious that you don't even know what the term "deco on the fly" means. In fact, from what you just posted it doesn't sound to me like you understand basic deco theory all that well either.

"Deco on the fly" is not a deco theory ... it's a profile modeling tool. It relies on the same concepts (Haldanian, Buhlmann, VPM, etc) as any other profile modeling tool. Quite frankly if people are getting bent it's because the diver doesn't understand it well enough to use it properly, or is modeling their profiles based on more risk than their body can handle. Those are decisions that every diver has to make, regardless of the modeling tools they are using.

Decompression theory in general is not well understood, and any modeling tool you use ... whether it's V-Planner, Deco Planner, or simply riding your Cochran to the next stop ... is only an idealized mathematical simulation. It's up to you to get enough training to understand what's going on inside your body when you dive, and make decisions based on your personal physiology, the type and conditions of the dive, and how much risk you believe is acceptable.

That statement right there demonstrates why you should just quit talking about GUE and DIR ... it's pretty clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

GUE isn't the only tech agency that will teach you the protocols to dive successfully as a 3-person team. I do it all the time with my NAUI Tech buddies. Assuming that you're diving with people who's training and skills you can rely on ... and you just shouldn't be doing tech dives with anyone otherwise ... you should never end up "alone and separated". In the rare event that you do, being prepared for it is a given ... it's part of the protocol.

I love you dearly TSM. And so I sure would not want to see you injured by GUE's failures for open water tech diving.
She's far more likey to injure herself laughing over your foolish statements.

Dude, you worry me ... not so much because of your obvious lack of knowledge, but because someone who doesn't know any better might actually take you seriously someday ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The best diver on this Earth whom I know is AG, and even he broke away from GUE. That simply says it all.
I have a great respect for Andrew ... but what you say above is misleading. Andrew's departure from GUE wasn't over philosophical differences ... it was a business decision (mostly about selling scooters).

What Andrew teaches as a NAUI Tech instructor is essentially the same thing that Andrew was teaching as the Director of Training for GUE. The differences are so minor as to be insignificant. That is, in part, because NAUI Tech and GUE are so fundamentally similar in their approach to tech diving in the first place.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Dive any way you want, Dive gear configurations is a reason to dive.

Being comfy in water with gear is all its about, Yet you will always want to improve, to that is a life long diver.

BASIC SCUBA SOLODIVING, is how I can get more dives in, more gear more to think about.

Try the monkey diving, try all diving.

Happy Diving

TSandM I agree... squeel squeel...

couple things I received my GUE Tech pass for Fundies, I am just finishing up my NAUI Tech adv nitrox/deco/triox. Seriously considering taking GUE Tech 1...

There are some people in my Tech class that can perform certain skills, but generally, I wouldn't want to do dives with. They pass the requirements needed for the NAUI card, but can not pass Fundies. Not saying NAUI is a lesser class, but the requirements are different. I met a diver recently who is going for full trimix, certified through NAUI, the guy can not do a valve drill, can only shoot a bag if he is on his knees, and honestly scares the crap out of me. He passed the minimum requirements and someone gave him his card... I am seeing too much of this, I was talking with some buddies, and we all admit that besides sounding like @$$holes, we may put a rule that if you want to dive with us, you need to have at least passed Fundies with a rec pass. There have been too many surprises underwater.

3 man teams should be a dream, but if the team is not cohesive... man what a nightmare! Yesterday we were a team of 2.5, doing ascents with gas switches. The .5 was just tagging along, part of the class but not ready for gas switches or deco stops (new to doubles) my team mate was having issues and I was concentrating on him when all of a sudden I got pumped from the side, I look over at .5 who had taken to swimming circles around us, I thought he needed something, but turns out he just bumped into me. This is fine and I have great patience for students who are trying to learn something, but yesterday because I was stressed and really focused on a job, it irritated me, and just added more stress. After the situation was handled, I held no hard feelings towards my buddy, it was just and accident and no harm done... but wow, one more thing to watch for...In 2 weeks I will be doing a tech1 dive with a team. One team mate I have only done 1 dive, it was about a 5 minute dive and we had to thumb the dive because another diver was having some issues, the other team mate I just did a couple ascent/descent/gas switch drills with him yesterday for the first time. This team mate sometime can rush through some drills and that stresses me a bit. Im not saying he's unsafe, but the little stress he gives me sure screws with my buoyancy(good training for me to learn how to deal with stress underwater). The dive I'm pretty relaxed about, really excited about trying helium for the first time, but a bit stressed about running the deco with 2 big "unknowns".

nereas, dude, you're funny! If you are doing a tech dive, how often do you do a long surface swim requiring a snorkel? Where do you come up with this crap? I agree AG is heck of diver, but you almost sound like an ignorant version GI3 back in the day spoutin' crap for AG instead of GUE. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt AG really appreciates you as a mouthpiece because it makes him look bad. How does GUE training NOT work in open water? And IF you had half a clue as to what your are saying, does that mean that NAUI training doesn't work in caves? I enjoy reading your posts, they usually remind me of the movie Tombstone, where Val Kilmer says something to the effect "my hypocrisies know no bounds" except I hear "my ignorance knows no bounds"

Good man!

Warning: you will be required to think for yourself now, however, when you read them. Thinking for yourself could be hazardous if you are not used to it.

Well, obviously! When the thinking has been left out of the post, the reader will *have* to think for themselves.. :) :lotsalove:

I read most of the pages in this topic but i cannot find how it is with lenght of hoses. I don't know in agreement with recognize how should be lenght the hose of the primary regulator. It is just subjective or there is some recommendation? thx. ps: sorry for bad EN

From the GUE Website:

Hoses
Divers should use high quality hoses to reduce the risk of hose rupture, and hoses should be replaced every several years or when they begin to show wear. All hoses should be fitted with strain relief to reduce the risk of kinking and failure. While under pressure, divers should periodically pull the protector aside to ensure that there are no leaks or impending failures. Long hoses typically range from 5 to 7' (1.5- 2m). Shallow open water divers who do not use a long hose commonly use a standard 32” (12.6cm) hose. Overhead divers should use a 7' hose. Open water divers who use a long hose often use a 5 or 6' hose, depending on their size and the use of a hip-mounted canister.10

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom