DIR People ticked me off again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did mine on my Fundies class I didn't look up, my SMB went up about 3ft.

I looked up and its stuck on Bob Sherwood's chest....:shocked2:
Now I always look up before deploying....

Bob does have a way of letting you know that you skipped a step, in such a way that you won't forget it again! :wink:

yep looking up is part of this drill, and if may add, this is NOT a GUE tape. so there may be the missing part of the drill..

dude bob's chest, i feel your pain.

ww

Thanks for confirming. So this guy is Doing It Almost Right, then ? Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

BTW, I don't believe that the practice of checking that all is clear before deploying any type of UW lift device is unique to one training program. It's really just common sense :)

There are a few small differences among the DIR teaching agencies, such as pocket contents, standard gases, and deco strategies. Nothing earthshaking, as far as I've ever heard. In a GUE Fundies demo of the bag shoot, along with checking above, I would expect to see the diver connect the spool to the bag, rather than having the two pre-attached.

There are a few small differences among the DIR teaching agencies, such as pocket contents, standard gases, and deco strategies. Nothing earthshaking, as far as I've ever heard. In a GUE Fundies demo of the bag shoot, along with checking above, I would expect to see the diver connect the spool to the bag, rather than having the two pre-attached.

jarrod does it in the fundamentals videos. he connected the two in the water right before he shoots it and this is how i had to do it in fundies.

The formal start-to-finish in Fundies typically includes starting with unrigged spool and smb, but I've actually been told in class, once that skill had been adequately performed, that pre-rigged is fine from that point out.

There are a few other differences with the basic procedures in the 5thD-X vids (including GUE's change in valve drills for doubles), but these vids do demonstrate the great buoyancy and trim that DIR divers tend to strive for.

Thanks for confirming. So this guy is Doing It Almost Right, then ? Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

BTW, I don't believe that the practice of checking that all is clear before deploying any type of UW lift device is unique to one training program. It's really just common sense :)

Actually you really can't see above yourself properly anyway. Short of rolling over which is not ideal if you're in midwater with a bunch of stages on and a deco obligation. Its better to get your buddies to look cause they have a vastly better view. If you can't see them, well that's a hint that everyone is out of position and maybe shooting an SMB isn't such a great idea right now.

GUE for sure wants you to look like you're looking and able to see behind your head. And they will ding you for not giving it a "college try". UTD (the hell spawn of 5thD-X) would rather have you thinking about who should be looking, when, how, and why, all of which is a little tough to put in a demo video although they could have done a better job of illustrating appropriate communication.

Actually you really can't see above yourself properly anyway. Short of rolling over which is not ideal if you're in midwater with a bunch of stages on and a deco obligation. Its better to get your buddies to look cause they have a vastly better view. If you can't see them, well that's a hint that everyone is out of position and maybe shooting an SMB isn't such a great idea right now.

GUE for sure wants you to look like you're looking and able to see behind your head. And they will ding you for not giving it a "college try". UTD (the hell spawn of 5thD-X) would rather have you thinking about who should be looking, when, how, and why, all of which is a little tough to put in a demo video although they could have done a better job of illustrating appropriate communication.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Can you elaborate on why it's undesirable to break the perfect horizontal trim for even a couple seconds to facilitate a proper look (other than it doesn't look nearly as cool ;-) ?

PS My apologies to all. I'm not intending to hijack thread...just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom