DIR the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Okay, this is the last reply I'll waste on this thread: I expressed no belief about whether limiting something is a strength or a weakness of the DIR system, just that it's indeed a limitation. Maybe if you think it over it'll make sense to you... or maybe not.
You choose the word "limitation" in your post. Did you use that word because of its dictionary definition or because you truly see it as a limitation of DIR? Given that you post in the DIR forum and try to partake in DIR conversations, I find that interesting. Because, I believe that you used the word because you see DIR as limiting, but that you pulled out the dictionary definition to deflect questions.

JeffG:
You choose the word "limitation" in your post. Did you use that word because of its dictionary definition or because you truly see it as a limitation of DIR? Given that you post in the DIR forum and try to partake in DIR conversations, I find that interesting. Because, I believe that you used the word because you see DIR as limiting, but that you pulled out the dictionary definition to deflect questions.
Well, the way I read it ... neither.

Here's the thing ... if you choose to dive the DIR style, that will preclude diving deep on air, or diving solo.

Without making judgments about whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, if you choose not to do something, you are imposing limits on your behavior relative to those things.

I think that's what he was trying to say ... now, can we see how many angels we can knock off the head of that particular pin?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

*Floater*:
I get the feeling that you and cornfed are trying pick an arguement with me
Don't flater yourself.

I asked you why you think they are limitations because your post suggested to me that you don't really understand why solo or deep air diving are inconsistent with the DIR paradigm. Saying "no solo diving" is a limitation of DIR is like saying solo diving is limited to dives you do without a buddy. There are simply incomptable concepts. I thought giving you a chance to explain yourself first would be less confrontational than stating that I don't think you understand DIR.

Since you think I'm simply being belligerent let me ask you different question. I hadn't heard there was any discussion of including nitrox in DIR-F. Why do you think they would do that?

PS In case you are wondering, I purposely included the definitions with the hope of irritating you. :D

Please stop with the personal jabs and bickering. If your posts were removed, it was because they crossed the line of getting personal.

As a reminder:
NetDoc:
3) All the rules of the board still apply here. You don't get to harrass or call people names. Civility should rule.

... <snip>

6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.

Snowbear:
Please stop with the personal jabs and bickering.
Is it a personal jab to say that you're no fun?

cornfed:
Is it a personal jab to say that you're no fun?
LOL

Snowbear:
Nah - I'm used to it :D
Polar bears are tough critters! And so are camels, just be careful because they spit!

LOL...thanks for all the replies and tips (wish I could have replied earlier, but SB is blocked at work). I ordered Jablonski's book "Doing it Right: Fundamentals of better diving", it arrived on my desk by Thursday, and I am already half way through it. Definitely a motivating piece for getting experience and mastering the basics rather than rushing on with sloppy habits.

Actually, as a first-timer DIR wannabe, I am looking for holistic advice, not just on gear or training, but on experience / mindset / things to keep in mind while practicing / setting goals / interacting with buddies, etc. I certainly can understand why people get obsessed with the gear aspect; it is much less fun to regret a piece of gear that doesn't really optimize your dive experience, while even bad experience or training can be learned from and doesn't take up space in one's apartment...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom