DIR-Why Black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmadiver:
Just curious, why the push for black gear when diving DIR?
I think the only thing that DIR really "pushes" to be black is the mask skirt, which enhances visual perception. The rest of it is just coincidence, I think.

riguerin:
catherine96821:
... All my gear is black because I don't like neons but the argument about bright fins being easier to follow and see is a valid one....So I was wondering why techies or DIR would favor black ...
Because jet fins only come in black :laughing:
In the past, they were available in other colors, including hot pink.

DIR-Atlanta:
I think the only thing that DIR really "pushes" to be black is the mask skirt, which enhances visual perception. The rest of it is just coincidence, I think.

In the past, they were available in other colors, including hot pink.

Are you serious about this ??? You have to let TekDiveGirl know were she can find a pair ! She would kill for a pair of pink jets size XL. :laughing:

DIR-Atlanta:

Nope, not even that.

Check the gavinscooters archives, GI3 went on a rant about black mask skirts being strokery caused by diving with poor buddies with bad light skills.

Really, IMO, the mask thing is up to you. If you get better peripheral vision with a clear skirt like GI3 does, then you want a clear skirt. If you have issues with light coming in your peripheral vision that is not caused by buddy light-waving issues, then you want a black skirt. Everyone's vision and sensitivity to light will differ, so I doubt there's one-size-fits-all here. I don't really care. I use black-skirted masks because the ones that I've got fit my face well, are low-volume and don't flood constantly during dives which are the really important features to look for...

And as far as the black gear thing goes -- there's a counter-trend among DIR divers here to get red drysuits now because they show up really well in the bad viz. And Uncle Pug has a yellow drysuit he got long before the counter-trend started that really makes him stand out...

ScubaMilo:
Because it's just ********n cool:14:
In Palau, all the Japanese DM"s were pointing at me and yelling, "Ninja Diver, Gaijin!":14:

lamont:
And as far as the black gear thing goes -- there's a counter-trend among DIR divers here to get red drysuits now because they show up really well in the bad viz. And Uncle Pug has a yellow drysuit he got long before the counter-trend started that really makes him stand out...

Is this true, lamont ? Intuitively, red seems like it would be a poor choice due to its low frequency on the light spectrum. That is, reds start to be filtered out by the water column at very shallow depths. Could you please elaborate on this ?

riguerin:
DIR-Atlanta:
In the past, [JetFins] were available in other colors, including hot pink.
Are you serious about this ??? You have to let TekDiveGirl know were she can find a pair ! She would kill for a pair of pink jets size XL.
Quite serious - they were also at one time available in yellow and blue. I think the colors are pretty hard to come by nowadays, though - maybe on eBay.

riguerin:
Is this true, lamont ? Intuitively, red seems like it would be a poor choice due to its low frequency on the light spectrum. That is, reds start to be filtered out by the water column at very shallow depths. Could you please elaborate on this ?

Well, its a lot better than black or green... And around here we usually don't have ambient light and have to rely on light from HIDs, so all the available light is fairly white anyway...

I guess JJ must not know how to use his light :wink:

My guess is the new red trend is people wanting to look like a WKPP member.

lamont:
Nope, not even that.

Check the gavinscooters archives, GI3 went on a rant about black mask skirts being strokery caused by diving with poor buddies with bad light skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom