DIRF Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard it differs somewhat from instructor to instructor, but that it is a more predictable offering than most other scuba classes...

I will be taking my DIR-F class in August with Andrew and Mike. I will let you guys now how I make out.

Thanks
Eric

picking up on a theme from Divesherpa's & Roakey's posts. Why can't the stuff that is taught in the DIRF course be taught in an AOW & Master Scuba diver course?

Here I was not having any idea what a helicopter turn is and I find out its something I already do on my own without anyone teaching it to me.

The reason I suggest teaching this stuff in the AOW & Master scuba diver courses is that we all know that there is not enough time in practically all OW courses to teach and have the students master several different fin kicks.

The stuff "taught" in DIRF class should be taught in OW class (except for maybe valve drills). There is no reason OW students shouldn't be taught these skills.

We got to talk to Andrew a bit in between sessions and after the course. His OW students come out doing the same skills we did in the DIRF class. It can be done if that is the goal. For instance, we were coming in from one of our dives and there was a PADI OW class also coming in. We heard the instructor asking his students what happened to your buoyancy control? There is a peak performance buoyancy class that I'm going to run that would help you with your buoyancy skills. We all looked at each other and wanted to say it should have been taught right from the beginning.

Eric - Have fun in your class. I can't wait to hear about it. You will have a hoot. Andrew and Mike are really funny guys.

Stacey

Stacey,

How many class sessions in Andrews OW class? Most of the OW courses I know of are only 4 to 5 class/pool sessions.

Mike Ferrera is doing 9 sessions I believe. Thats the longest one I've heard of.

I think its great that Andrew teaches those skills in his OW class. I wish more people would do the same. In particular from what I've seen and read over the past year or so not enough emphasis is placed on mastering bouyancy control in OW certifications.

As for the PADI group you mentioned--I think there is considerable difference between an OW cert class and a group taking DIRF class. I may be (and probably am) mistaken but doesn't a person enrolling in a DIRF class have to be a certified diver?

The peak performance bouyancy material and skills should be included in the OW class IMHO.

I am curious about one more thing if you don't mind. If you had to choose just one thing about your DIRF class; what would you consider to be the most valuable lesson you had, that will apply to any future diving you do?

jbd

I may be (and probably am) mistaken but doesn't a person enrolling in a DIRF class have to be a certified diver?

You must already be certified to take DIRF...although I heard a rumor that GUE might have OW classes someday, but that they have not developed the course material and would need more instructors to teach it...may not be true, but that's what I heard...

Andrew has a 9 and 12 day session class.

As for the PADI group you mentioned--I think there is considerable difference between an OW cert class and a group taking DIRF class. I may be (and probably am) mistaken but doesn't a person enrolling in a DIRF class have to be a certified diver?

You missed my point here. I'm comparing Andrew's OW students to the PADI OW students we saw at the quarry. Andrew's OW students can do the same skills (all done neutrally buoyant) that a DIRF class covers. The PADI OW class we saw could not. Yes, Andrew's classes are 9 or 12 day sessions. That does make a difference, but it depends on what you want. A person enrolling in a DIRF class does have to be certified.

I am curious about one more thing if you don't mind. If you had to choose just one thing about your DIRF class; what would you consider to be the most valuable lesson you had, that will apply to any future diving you do?

Man, this is a very tough question. I was practicing today everything I learned in the class. I guess the biggest lesson is that you must always practice. When you think you have it down, continue to practice. Always strive to be better. (I also learned a lot about trim and the ways to adjust it and how small changes make a huge difference.:) )

Stacey

Yep your right. I missed your point about the PADI class.

9 & 12 session classes sounds like a really good course to me.

There's a huge amount of wisdom in your answer to my question IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom