Disappointing group trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the suggestion of joining a local dive club and making friends with mutual interests is a good idea. And if you want to do a lot of good dives very easily then you should look into a liveaboard dive trip. Search this forum for tips about taking livaboard trips as a single diver.

I am sorry that you didn't get to see more of the island. I am one of the people that really enjoys the topography and culture of Bonaire. The island's topography includes desert, marsh, jungle, salt flats, beach, and seaside. You can see windmill farms, salt hills, a wind-surfing colony, a flamingo preserve, and a donkey sanctuary!

Visiting the slave huts was really an eye-opening experience for me and there are large mounds of sun-bleached conch shells (and hungry frigate birds) in Lac Bay. I hope you get a chance to go back and spend more time enjoying the place and the culture.

Sorry if this is an aside...not specifically about Bonaire, but as far a group trips go...That first trip with a group can be a bit of a roll of the dice. I just came off a "first group trip" with a very welcoming bunch of folks that I would like to join again in the future. That is not always the case and a second trip with a group (if they weren't too off-putting the first time around) can be a completely different experience. If the group has a core that travel together a lot, they can be a bit cliquish (even if very innocently) and it can be tough to break through. Hang in there and try different groups. You may find individuals on the trip that might like to buddy up separately on future trips and you can start your own group. As long as you have a bit of a time horizon and you like to dive (and can afford to travel), the world is your oyster.

At Divi it was understood that you could get up at 2 am, grab a tank from the rack on the dock, gear up and go. No need to tell anyone, check in or our of the water, etc.

You just have to be outgoing enough to pick up a buddy at the bar the night before

So, Mike.... Can I use this when the wife see's me flirting with a hot girl at the bar ???? But, Baby.... I was just looking for a dive buddy for when you take a nap!!!:D

Jim....

So, Mike.... Can I use this when the wife see's me flirting with a hot girl at the bar ???? But, Baby.... I was just looking for a dive buddy for when you take a nap!!!:D

Jim....

Why do you think that I even participate in this ridiculous sport? I hate scuba diving, I just do it for the social benefits...!

:D

Do the Bonaire ops have a problem with solo diving if you have the card?

Buddy Dive Resort let me do it, no problem. I've got the SDI Solo cert. & they rented me a pony bottle with attached reg. (I asked for a 30 cf; they gave me a 1/2 filled 40 cf pony; close enough for me).

I believe I've seen a Dive Friends webpage indicated solo is okay if you're certified, and I think WannaDive's website used to indicated they taught the solo course (although I just found out their website is now way different, and I don't think it lists everything they teach, so you'd want to confirm with them).

This post reminds me of a poster several months ago who reported a really bad group trip experience to Grand Cayman, and similarly, the issue was mainly with the way the group allegedly handled things, not the island.

Richard.

I let it go at the time. Once I get on vacation, I tend to try to roll with things, within reason. Besides, I use a 30 cf pony solo'ing at the quarry back home, so at least this way I got some hands on experience with a 40 cf tank. I also like to pressure & take a breath off my pony before each dive; I did 25 solo dives that week (plus 2 group & 1 guided without the pony), and it worked out okay.

All that said, if I were buying another pony today back home, I'd probably get a smaller one.

Richard.

Wow............... that is all........... just wowzer..................what a strange trip......... you had to Bonaire.. .wait there is a song with that lyric.... but usually it is more positive. Greatful Dead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom