Discover Scuba... opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried to get my wife to take scuba lessons with me in '95 but she didn't think she would like it. After two years of listening to my dive stories, she became interested. The next year, on a trip to Grand Cayman, she took a discover scuba class and loved it. Needless to say, she is a cert. diver now and love the clear warm water. She has tried lake diving and doesn't want anything to do with it but that is ok. At lest we can go on vacation together.

Hi guys , just my 2 cents .
I think there should be a guaranteed place in heaven for the resort course insructors. Just think of what they have done for so many of us in here. They turned us on to diving!

Did you decide anything yet???

:tease:

(yeah, I coulda sent it private, but I like puttin' ya on the spot)

Here, in israel, we have something else. The original "discover scuba" is not practised here at all. We have here what is called "Introductory Dives" (dont mix it with introduction to scuba), or "Intros". An into dive is a dive where an Instructor takes ONE person at a time to an underwater tour, limited to 6 meters deep. The person that comes to the dive recives a short briefing that the main part of it is explaining the issue of equalizing pressures. The person dosent have to know anything about the equpment, as it is all operated by the instructor. I took several hundreds of "Intro" dives, sometimes with kids as young as 5 or 4 years old and sometimes people above 70. It's a lot of fun, seeing the way they react to it. We have a site called "the caves" in eilat, a site that is about 4 meters deep (bottom) and has a small cavern, few meters long filled with a lot of fish, and it's really great for that purpose.

I dont know what exactly "discover scuba" is, but if it's anything like that it's worth a try for someone that thinks about doing a course but is not sure.

liquid. I think that the rules are different depending on what country or island you happen to be on .
My "introduction to scuba" was 2 hrs in the pool and then on to the boat and into the ocean.
First dive depth 35' , I did 8 more dives that week and don't tell anyone but the last dive was 80'. But ..
I am very comfortable in the water.
I did see other folks that took the pool portion and didn't feel comfortable enough to try the ocean. To the relief of the instructor i might add.

Ahhh yes, RUSSIAN roulette SCUBA diving. Just hope they don't panic and hold their breath. Embolism's are always fun.

I think the Discover program in the pool is O.K. when it is ONE on ONE with an instructor that can grab a student and keep them from bolting or flood their suit if they become clausterphobic or just to put a calming hand on their shoulder.

I don't know about those "hey let's take you diving" things though... I would've NEVER dove without knowing as MUCH information as possible.

Just make sure you get whomever with a good instructor that you KNOW.

Good Luck :D

Back
Top Bottom