Discovering shipwrecks from your desktop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only bathymetry data for the Adriatic that's in any useful resolution is stuck behind million dollar paywalls, so no AI yet to help.

No problem at all, the war we had 30 years ago keeps me well stocked with explosive ordinance.
Why do people on scubaboard keep asking me that, I think you are the third one this year.

Maybe that’s an idea of the next scubaboard invasion, you could propose that :)

The only bathymetry data for the Adriatic that's in any useful resolution is stuck behind million dollar paywalls, so no AI yet to help.

No problem at all, the war we had 30 years ago keeps me well stocked with explosive ordinance.
Why do people on scubaboard keep asking me that, I think you are the third one this year.

I don't understand you, do you have a problem with using explosives to catch fish where you are? We have a huge problem here with using explosives to catch fish. The bastards here use fertilizer, war leftover explosives, etc. to catch fish and destroying the environment and wiping out the marine life in the process.

It’s identified as either the Johnson or Oscar Flint, in Thunder Bay.
The Flint has 3 anchors and is loaded to brim with limestone. The Johnson was empty.

I will have to play around with some of the links that you have provided to see what data they have for areas outside the U.S.

Currently I am finding wrecks using the history time slider in Google Earth to notice the changes on sandy bottoms as storms move the sand around. There is one reef that is marked on British Admiralty charts as "Cannon Reef" but nobody knows why - but Google Earth may have uncovered the answer... time will tell

I am finding wrecks using the history time slider in Google Earth to notice the changes on sandy bottoms as storms move the sand around.

But Google earth only shows bottom that is only several meters deep at best, at least when I try to do what you do. Is there another way to read Google earth to get better photos for UW terrain?

I am trying to use it to get better idea about what lays UW; reefs, wrecks and even antiquities but I can only see few meters deep.

But Google earth only shows bottom that is only several meters deep at best, at least when I try to do what you do. Is there another way to read Google earth to get better photos for UW terrain?

I am trying to use it to get better idea about what lays UW; reefs, wrecks and even antiquities but I can only see few meters deep.
Depends on the area - Red Sea with clear water and bright sunlight means GE gets down a little deeper - not much but every little bit helps

Depends on the area - Red Sea with clear water and bright sunlight means GE gets down a little deeper - not much but every little bit helps

So no special technique or a "better" Google Earth service that gives better and deeper ocean/sea terrain details available? Any other service service out there that is better than Google Earth that you know about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom