I have a lot of information on Puget Sound wrecks, how best to share it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Shipwrecks and derwlict vessels have been a passion of mine my entire life, and I have been keeping various iterations of wreck databases for years. I've had a whole lot of down time this winter and am using that time to standardize, integrate and clean up my database and now I would like to share it. The data comes from many sources and mostly focuses on Puget Sound wrecks and derelicts.

So the question is, how best to share it? Riggt now it is in a Google Earth .kmz format, which is not especially conducive to conversion to a website. I could create a site and just post the most current version of the .kmz along with change logs and links for the attached images.

Is there a better way? What would people find most useful?

Shipwrecks and derwlict vessels have been a passion of mine my entire life, and I have been keeping various iterations of wreck databases for years. I've had a whole lot of down time this winter and am using that time to standardize, integrate and clean up my database and now I would like to share it. The data comes from many sources and mostly focuses on Puget Sound wrecks and derelicts.

So the question is, how best to share it? Riggt now it is in a Google Earth .kmz format, which is not especially conducive to conversion to a website. I could create a site and just post the most current version of the .kmz along with change logs and links for the attached images.

Is there a better way? What would people find most useful?
I do a lot of mapping and GIS work.

I think sharing the kmz is awesome for other map nerd.

I think for sharing information or stories about the data I’d look at arcgis online or https://www.google.com/mymaps and then sharing or embedding that content

Maybe convert the .kmz file(s) to a database? Then you could make it searchable...

Maybe convert the .kmz file(s) to a database? Then you could make it searchable...
Funamentally, a .kmz is basically just a CSV file with some HTML anyway

Funamentally, a .kmz is basically just a CSV file with some HTML anyway
Neither is a database though. There's plenty of sites that share csv's and kmz files, but if you want it to be more useful, a database would be the answer.

If you want to share another kmz, you can host that within Google

You can make a Google map and include coordinates, photos, and videos of the wrecks similar to this;

For me..... the best info would simply be the EXACT GPS coordinates along with any narrative or description or insight that might be specific or particular to the particular site.

I'm partially trying to capture as much of Scott Boyd's work now that he has died and I don't know if his excellent website will be maintained. On the other hand, not all of his info was correlated with locations, and some was "Go buy my book", which is now unobtanium.

In addition to his data I am using the info from the AWOIS and ENC datasets, along with the Dept of Natural Resources Derelict Vessel Removal Program lists, and cross reference the whole mess against the NOAA bathymetry data whenever possible. The upshot of all this is I can generally say there is something on the bottom and it looks like this on the multibeam, and I think it is a wreck and I think this is the history.

I will hopefully finish up the recreationally accessible stuff tonight (I have three regions with multiple targets letft) and can start posting some samples.

Two concerns I have is that I want something that is easy to regularly update as I get more info and the need to move all the currently attached sonograms to a web host. I am also have some headaches with the way Google Earth handles the underlying XML.

I'm partially trying to capture as much of Scott Boyd's work now that he has died and I don't know if his excellent website will be maintained. On the other hand, not all of his info was correlated with locations, and some was "Go buy my book", which is now unobtanium.

In addition to his data I am using the info from the AWOIS and ENC datasets, along with the Dept of Natural Resources Derelict Vessel Removal Program lists, and cross reference the whole mess against the NOAA bathymetry data whenever possible. The upshot of all this is I can generally say there is something on the bottom and it looks like this on the multibeam, and I think it is a wreck and I think this is the history.

I will hopefully finish up the recreationally accessible stuff tonight (I have three regions with multiple targets letft) and can start posting some samples.

Two concerns I have is that I want something that is easy to regularly update as I get more info and the need to move all the currently attached sonograms to a web host. I am also have some headaches with the way Google Earth handles the underlying XML.
A wiki?

OK, here are a couple of examples of the records I have. in order to get these on the web I need to get hosting for all the images which is a PITA, but one I at least understand. I have also put up a regional section of the larger KML which will not have the pictures, but gives you an idea how it works.

aaaand I just learned SB doesn't allow .kml files. OK, one problem at a time...

And now they do, Thanks, guys!

Attachments

• bandicam 2024-01-08 02-44-17-753.jpg
    bandicam 2024-01-08 02-44-17-753.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 38
  • bandicam 2024-01-08 02-47-29-725.jpg
    bandicam 2024-01-08 02-47-29-725.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 43
  • San Jaun Islands.kml
    24.4 KB · Views: 51

Back
Top Bottom