Discovery Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
At Kevin's Reef there is a large crack that divides the reef. This gully is full of life, as is the entire reef. We've found a few nudibranchs there that we rarely see elsewhere. We should probably rename the gully Discovery Channel. Today I found a nudibranch that even Kevin Lee hadn't seen.

I was about to leave the reef for my ascent when I spied a tiny 1/8 inch nudibranch on top of the reef. The cerata looked somehow different than most nudis we've seen so I took a closer look with my 105mm lens. It was a Cuthona abronia. I took a few shots and then shared it with Merry and Kevin. I'm sure one of Kevin's shots will soon grace some expert's latest book.

Kevins%20Reef%2017_zpsgpnhll6z.jpg

Cuthona abronia

Kevins%20Reef%2018_zpszyslskmf.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2011_zpsqyicpoln.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2010_zpst66uq014.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%209_zpshxv8el70.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%207_zpstq8yeces.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%205_zps8ghqrhpi.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%204_zpsksplyqgv.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%203_zpsmcjp5pq9.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%202_zpseerfyzvu.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%201_zps8pnazw4u.jpg

The ocean began picking up so we went back toward Redondo Beach, stopping for one more dive at Golf Ball Reef. Once prolific, GBR is now devoid of life. I didn't find my first photo subject until midway through the dive. Hopefully the colder water this winter will return some of the life to our local reefs.

GBR%2011_zps6gwa2l2n.jpg

GBR%2010_zpssgietslm.jpg

GBR%209_zpsircetppe.jpg

GBR%208_zps6wcezejf.jpg

GBR%207_zpsxorc4byw.jpg

GBR%206_zpsqxtcmqfj.jpg

GBR%204_zpsfq4crvcs.jpg

GBR%202_zpsdekvtnkf.jpg

GBR%201_zpsetzvp2jf.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic stuff! Do you know the species name on the hairy hermit crab and the Berthella sp? We have a vaguely similar Berthella here (B. delicata) that I only know to exist in one cave in Kona.

thanks for sharing such great images...

Fantastic stuff! Do you know the species name on the hairy hermit crab and the Berthella sp? We have a vaguely similar Berthella here (B. delicata) that I only know to exist in one cave in Kona.
Furry hermit crab, Paguristes ulreyi and Berthella californica.

Beautiful series. Love the California Cone Snail on the Shark Egg. What's that growth on its shell? Eggs?

Beautiful series. Love the California Cone Snail on the Shark Egg. What's that growth on its shell? Eggs?
It looks like a smaller snail decided his larger cousin was a perfect nursery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom