Disinfecting agent for the BC that kills all fungi and TB-inducing bacteria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have sucked all the gas out of my wing before a hot drop and consider that a "valid reason" - may reconsider doing that going forward, however!

While it's nice to be sure you can manually inflate, there is no valid reason for inhaling from the BC bladder...

they don't because you aren't supposed to breathe off of them...
3. Clean dive gear with fresh water and
cleaning solutions
That's the recommendation from Dive Rites manual, the rest are basically the same. This is enough to keep some of the real bad nasties from growing and since you're supposed to have them serviced annually, there may be a flush done by the service techs, but I doubt it

What does the bladder manufacturers recommend?

Not breathing off the BCD.

I was trained to use Virkon S for my CCR lungs and loop, and occasionally I actually do disinfect them...if I wanted to clean a wing/BCD, that's what I'd use. Usually I just rinse the loop well and let everything dry, though.

Usually I just rinse the loop well and let everything dry, though.

I agree the real issue is to rinse well and dry well after diving. I remove the pull dumps and the hose and leave the wing out to dry for several days. I mean completely dry. With most all gear the issues it is really due to poor rinse and drying habits. Rinse (soak) well and dry well and most issues will not be an issue.

Bleach (NaCLO) + acid (Vinegar) will produce free chlorine gas. Chlorine would not be my choice to put into my wing bladder. . .

Wrong - you are thinking of chlorine bleach (Clorox) mixed with ammonia. Very deadly. I use bleach & vinegar with detergent to wash the lichen, mildew, and algae off my siding regularly. No gas produced.

Prolonged exposure to things like bleach can be hard on gear due to all the rubber and plastics. Was soaking a mask once and I forgot and left it in a couple days. I had mixed the bleach solution a bit too strong. Mask got all gummy and I had to discard it, although the prescription lens were untouched. Whatever is in a BCD will be there, in at least dilute amounts, for a long time.

What is recommended for putting in a dip tank?

Community tank should be fresh RUNNING water. Doesn't matter what you put in if it's not running water. It'll soon get scuzzed up. I won't use dunk tanks except as a last resort. The shower in the room works much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom