Disturbing news ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artgirl

Reaction score
I've waited to ask on any forums I visit about Cozumel, wondering if I would see this news story posted by someone, but enough time has passed that I am wondering if what I was told is a hoax or cruel joke cuz nothing is out there. My husband is a native of Cozumel. He called home yesterday to his parents, who live on the island and they chatted about "what's new" and etc. My mother-in-law said that the police chief and his wife were shot during a public speech that he, police chief was giving and that they died. My mother-in-law said that the shooter was aprehended and is now in the custody of the federal police. Now, my mother-in-law is not given to gossip, but I'm wondering why I haven't seen hide nor hair of this incident in the news or on any forums. Does anyone know about this?

Iw was more like an EX police chief murdered his wife and then committed suicide. I don't know the specifics. But it was some sort of lover's quarrel / dispute, nothing to do with the fact he was a chief of police at any point. So in a way, it was a private matter. People are just crazy and fuxored up, what can I say.

I searched news outlets and asked one or two contact I have, and the response was, "What?"

I'd like to hear input from those in the know -- how is Cozumel these days for tourists? I've only been visiting a few years, and the usual warnings remain (tourists doing stupid things are exposing themselves to theft and other crime), but that overall the island remains very safe. Last time I did hear concern about some local violence, small groups of older juveniles/younger adults stealing and doing things. But nothing on the level of mass violence that should make tourists overly concerned.

I like Cozumel because it's laid back and safe -- I try to stay away from the tourist traps near the cruise ship docs, but will note I let my guard down and a friend and I were swindled by a henna tattoo guy in January -- that made me so angry, but it was my fault, too bad his greed cost a lot of his fellow vendors a lot of cash because I was so mad we left and I didn't go back.

I read that there is now a Sam's Club inter island. Seriously? I wonder for how long this will be a good place to go.

Well, I really don't want to cause undo stress or worry for anyone considering a trip to the island, in fact we plan on retiring there. However, I am just wondering how a story could get so misconstrued. El Gaucho's post and the story my m-in-law told us are so drastically different. Geez!!

How does a Sam's Club impact your time on Cozumel?

From what I've heard it buried pretty far in the back of town.

Also, I was told in August (from who I believe to be a fairly reliable source) that the island is getting a Walmart too. Not sure though.

Google news search:
Two Chapo Guzman Cartel Bosses Arrested in Alta Brisas, Merida - The Yucatan Times

Two high ranking drug dealers that operated in Cozumel were arrested in Merida on September 18.

Some police reports and the newspapers from the neighboring state, suggested that the former director of the Municipal Police of Cozumel Eduardo Isidro Gutiérrez Sánchez, removed from his office on September 17, was allegedly linked with the organized crime, in specific to the suspects arrested in Merida, who worked for the Chapo Guzman Cartel

On Friday, Gutierrez Sanchez committed suicide after killing his wife in his residency on Tenth Avenue between Fourth and Second in the island of Cozumel. Thus far, Quintana Roo authorities have not confirmed whether or not the suicide was related to the arrest in Merida.

I believe Por Esto had an article 2-3 days ago that said it was a murder/suicide but I can't find the link.

By and large, Cozumel is still a very safe place but it does have a population of around 80,000+ people so it is going to have some crime. It's a great place to vacation but it's not Utopia. No place is.

Thank you for the replies and the Por Esto report tidbit. I suppose it's the rumor mill grinding out the gossip again. I'll have to share this version of the story with my mother in law. Sam's club on this thread?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom