Divator MK II (AGA) report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ralawrence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After lots of helpful advice (thank you all for your patience during my quest) I got an AGA. I planned to use it for water reservoir inspection, so of course the first use has been installing steel walls on the front of a river water intake structure down stream of Mt St. Helens. And to do that, about 3 to 4 feet of clean coarse sand had to be blown away. This involved using compressed air and took hours to accomplish. Moved about 100 cubic yards of sand.

During this time I was super innundated by sand etc. The AGA worked like a champ.

I purchased the AGA with the ABV-1 and both mask and surface wireless communications units (buddy phone) from OTS.

The ABV-1 worked great and did not leak inspite of being drenched with sand and rapidly moving from below to above sand laden water (working in about 7 feet of water once sand gone, started with 4 feet). The passage from the ABV and regulator supplied air was seamless. Maintenance consisted of removing a philips screw, unscrewing the ABV cover, rinsing and re-assempling. A snap to do. Did not need to close ABV each time I went under. However, I plan to close it when I dive deeper than 6 feet.

The communications worked well after we figured out how to adjust for the ambient noise when I was using compressed air to blow sand. I am allergic to neoprene and must wear a latex hood under my 6 mil neoprene hood. While I had to listen carefully to understand what was being said, I always knew when someone wanted to talk to me. No modification to the hood/underhood necessary.

Perhaps the best part was air temp in 60's, water around 50 and mask NEVER fogged regardless of air source. If you are considering a FFM and want to hear more, give me a shout.

Russ

How do you find equalising? I've just bought a new AGA and have had 3 dives with it in shallow water, but am having a lot of difficulty equalising. I'm trying the swallow method, but it is taking a very long time to descend. Any words of advice?

thanks

I raised the in-mask nose block to the max position then push up on the bottom of mask while trying to rotate head to make contact. Take a bit of practice. I practiced infront of the telly. You should have heard the muttered remarks from my bride. Being half (or more) deaf, the comments were just mutterings. Probably just as well for the sake of living together.

Hope this helps. If not perhaps we can try something else?

Russ

Hello Russ and Steve,

Sometimes the equalizing can be a bit of a challenge. I think you'll find that the more you use the mask the easier it gets. A couple of points. You will want to have the pushpad (the v-block) positioned slightly under your nose. You want to be able to breath through your nose. To equalize, push in and up on the mask. I suggest that you place your index and middle fingers on or near the two retaining screws on the front plate or there abouts and palm the regulator to collapse the mask skirt, pushing the pushpad against your nostrils and closing them to allow you to valsalva. If you need to trim the pushpad and you don't have to share the mask as some public safety dive teams and certianly aquarium diver, feel free to trim or modify the pushpad as you need. I've seen some with neoprene glued to them and trimmed to fit. Becareful not to trim too much, it's very easy to take it off, harder to add it. Also make sure you're looking up as you equalize. A very common and easy to make mistake is to tuck your chin as you equalize, this restricts the eustacean (sp?) tubes, hindering your ability. Look up as you valsalva, you should find that this helps.

Now, having said all this, I don't need to tell you how many different faces there are, not all are easily fitted into the mask and equalizing assembly. However, with a little practice and adjustments, most can comfortably use the mask.

If you're having more specific problems, feel free to PM me, I'll see if I can help you.

Thanks for the tips. Looking up is something I definitely wasn't doing. Glueing something also crossed my mind. A friend suggested using s special chewing gum called airwaves to clear the passages too. Sounds like I should get there with a bit of experimentation - sit in front of the TV with the kids while they watch Star Wars and I'll fit right in!

Thanks

Steve

Ever thought of using a swimmer's nose clip for equilizing inside the mask. I've begun using it inside my snorkel diving mask (TUSA Liberator), and found it works very well, and frees up my hands for other things. This was developed, believe it or not, but Dr. Hans Hass in the 1940s and 1950s, before they had anything other than the round/oval masks.

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff:
Ever thought of using a swimmer's nose clip for equilizing inside the mask. I've begun using it inside my snorkel diving mask (TUSA Liberator), and found it works very well, and frees up my hands for other things. This was developed, believe it or not, but Dr. Hans Hass in the 1940s and 1950s, before they had anything other than the round/oval masks.

SeaRat

That's a great idea. I've gotta try it!

I've got a question about using a full face mask. Do you carry a normal octo for alternate air source ? Do you have a standard scuba mask in case you have to remove the full face ? How hard is it to switch to an alternate air source ?

Here in the UK, some agencies allow you to try various FFMs as a 'specialty' course and perhaps with a view to you going out and getting one for yourself.

Assuming you are using an FFM for recrational scuba, they advise a spare 'half mask' (the sort of thing we'd usually wear) and a conventional octopus.

Alternative Air Sources, pony cylinders, twin sets etc need something called a 'Gas Switching Block' to enable you to change from one gas source to another.

As for switching, as long as you don't mind your face being in the water and having no air at the same time, then switching from an FFM to a half mask is fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

What it is like in freezing cold open water might be another matter !

Thanks for the info. It seems that FFM is a fairly new specialty course and most instructors that I know seem to know very little more than me about them. I would like to try one some time so I suppose it is best to try some pool drills to see how the change goes. It just seems slightly more stressful if you got into an OOA situation because you are losing your mask at the same time you are working on getting air. Practice would seem to be in order.

Back
Top Bottom