Dive accident in Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if this operator provides dive computers with depth alarms? Mine goes nuts At 100 feet or what ever depth I set it at. Do the effects of being narced make you ignore computer warnings?

Thanks,
jay

I remember on a deep course that I never looked at the pressure or NDL. I looked at the depth, and the other two were next to the depth, but I have no idea what they were during the deep part of the dive before the instructor decided it was time to go back up. Narc combined with task loading due to the various things I was being asked to do at 130 feet.

Reviewing the dive computer log he had us ascend just as I ran out of NDL time, though we recovered by the time we were at 60 feet. I have no idea if the computer got upset when I hit NDL, I have no memory of it doing anything. It should have, I know I had the depth alarm turned off but the pressure and NDL alarms should have been working. Pressure warning level would not have been reached.

Pretty much convinced me that deep air isn't something I want to do.

It also depends on the computer. My computer doesn't have any alarms. It requires you to think for yourself and plan the dive. Then stick to that plan.

I love reports like this one :

"Rescue crews have not confirmed whether she is deceased, however, the time she has spent below the surface makes her chances of survival low........................................................................................

As of 6 p.m., Yunhwa Lee, the missing diver, had been underwater for more than seven hours. She had a tank with enough air for 45 to 60 minutes. "

you are not dead until a Doctor or a court says you are dead. The doctor won't say you are dead unless they or someone they entrust to do it for them checks for signs of life. A court does not say you are dead until it is proven with some certainty that you are dead and that there will be no body recovered for a doctor to say you are dead. So the article is correct in saying her chances of surviving is low or that she is presumed deceased. It seems obvious but she wasn't dead until the doctor said she was dead

Does anyone know if this operator provides dive computers with depth alarms? Mine goes nuts At 100 feet or what ever depth I set it at. Do the effects of being narced make you ignore computer warnings?

Thanks,
jay

Some computers do have alarms, but to my experience you can set them as you like ("off" is also an option). I have no memory whatsoever about what the default setting was on my computers. The diver probably had a Vyper and the alarm was either off or set for something radical (esp. not surprising if he bought it used from a tech diver).

Thanks,
jay

My computer has alarms, but between 7mm of hood and my ears are not so good with higher pitched sounds, there is no reason to turn it on.

And yes narcosis can make you miss an alarm, or anything else, if it is outside your narrowed focus at the time. I believe that deep clear water is one of the more dangerous conditions in diving. Once you are narked and become one with the beautiful blue, only exceptional training and focus, or divine intervention can save your a**.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom