Dive Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone share with me your experience on Dive Alert? Is it worthwhile to invest one as safety measure?

Are there any precaution in using it?

Does it require special maintenance after diving?

Thanks.

I use a dive alert, as does everyone usually on my boat. We "live boat", so it's a necessary piece of gear in case someone winds up well away from the boat. It has worked very well for us, and has permitted me to find divers in swells.

The only thing that causes some concern is that it is an extra potential failure point. Nonetheless, the benefits outweigh the risk for me (another consideration is that you could keep it in your pocket until the end of the dive, and then connect it when needed. I've thought about doing that.)

As far as maintenance, I just rinse all the sale off mine after use, and allow it to air dry.

in reality?

Is it comparable in volume to a significant size (e.g. a mid 40 foot convertable) boat horn?

I've been thinking of getting one for the specific reason you folks have one. I carry a sausage already, but have considered adding this to my kit...

The friends of mine who do say that they first submerge their head under water before giving DiveAlert a burst of air...I am told it is very loud.

Does it also sound underwater? That would make it a very useful "dual purpose" item....

We did a live boat dive a few years back and the skipper lost our bubbles. I guess he thought we were just going to poke around in the kelp forest and we thougth we would do a drift dive (bad planning?). Anyhoo, we ended up about 1/4 mile away and my buddy had a Dive Alert. He set it off (yes, it's pretty loud) and the boat came and got us. The skipper said he had no idea that we were anywhere near where we were. Now, the current was taking us farther away from him and there was no land nearby.

Yes, the Dive Alert works. No, I won't dive with that skipper again. And I seem to recall hearing about one that worked underwater, although the standard one does not (just blows bubbles).

Sounds like the ticket for "heh idiot live-boat driver, we're over HERE!" :)

I activated it underwater to see what it would do, and it did make a fairly loud sound that was much deeper in pitch. It's not marketed for that, but other products are. It is very loud at the surface, and while I don't put my head under water, I do extend my arm as far as possible and make SURE that it's pointed in the right direction. It is an extremely high pitched load noise that you don't want to be anywhere around if experiencing a headache.

Thank you so much forall your input!

I see in the webpage that there are 2 more products - Hammerhead and Subduck. What are your experience on these 2 products?

Thanks,
:)

I like my Dive Alert, even used it yesterday. While diving in 60', about 20 miles offshore, we found some interesting bottom to explore, boat watching from above, but not anchored. We traveled at least 1/4 mile away from the boat, when we came up, the boat was out of site, until a swell lifted us up, and the boat could be seen in the distance (very small), even with a radio playing on the boat, they heard the Dive Alert easily, and came over to pick us up, they had not yet seen us, until hearing the Dive Alert, highly recommended, and yes, it is VERY loud, do not point it near someone's ear.

The SubDuck, is made for underwater communication, it's effective, and contributes to underwater noise, but I know some people who like them.

Back
Top Bottom