Cold water & wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Want to try cold water diving with wet suit (please don't suggest "use dry suit", that's not the point). So what is, exactly, the cold water wet suit set-up, in addition to the wet suit itself? Gloves, boots, any special undergarments? Please share your experience. Thanks!

What is the water temperature you intend to dive? And, how cold tolerant are you?

For cold water wetsuit diving, most people use a 7mm jacket over a 7mm Farmer John. You'll want at least 5mm gloves, 7mm boots, and a hood (7mm, or 10mm if you are really prone to getting cold). Regular undergarments won't really do much, although lycra stuff can help make donning easier. You can layer stuff like Sharkskin or Lavacore under a wetsuit for added warmth though. Make sure your wetsuit fits well, as a poorly fitting wetsuit will allow cold water to flush in.

i would look into semi dry suits

i would look into semi dry suits

Having dived a 7mm two piece and a semi dry suit for many years, a semi dry is not as warm as a two piece. I have a semi dry that I wear in water 16C or greater for hunter gather and NDL dives anything less it is a dry suit.

If I wanted to wear a wetsuit in colder water (7C-16C), I would be looking at a two piece 7-8mm open cell wetsuit, this is the style of wetsuit that commercial abalone and urchin divers are using spending 4-6hrs in the water.

Like @Outbound said, a water temperature range would help with suggestions, and cold tolerance is really subjective. I dive in the PNW, so mid 40's in the winter and 60's in the summer. I started with a 9/7mm semi-dry, 5mm gloves, and 7mm hood, but found it miserable in winter. I now dive a drysuit.

7 mil farmer john, hood, boots. Under 50F water 3 finger mitts, over 57 five finger gloves.

My wife and I find the 8/7 semi-drys to be warmer than the Farmer John as the water exchange is much lower. We dive in the high 40s and are comfortable. My son is a rail and prefers a 7mm wetsuit with sharkskin and hooded vest. He was cold in the farmer john but hasn't tried a semi-dry.

Personally, I like some sort of attached hood. Prior, without, I could feel a trickle of cold water down my back. An attached hood - either integrated with a fullsuit (what I use - Im fairly cold tolerant), or on top of a FS as a hooded vest, eliminates alot of water exchange. I'd prefer a FS with a hooded vest over a Farmer John/jacket (too much floaty neoprene)

Yes, gloves and boots. For gloves, you must determine how much dexterity is enough for you, personally I use 5mm gloves, but it may be too cold for some.

Back
Top Bottom