Dive Aqaba - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably

I don't want all those hot Danish chicks all over JB though

let me know when ya'll get some ugly ones :coffee:

I really don't want to drag all that gear....we are doing some driving, etc

what about USED dive gear, can I ship that ahead to a hotel? (no tanks, just back plates, wetsuits)

Personally I would not ship any of my dive gear unaccompanied unless you know somebody at the other end who can receive it.

Man, security in Amman airports about batteries is ridiculous. Way back when I was a kid, I remember them trying to confiscate my AA batteries for my Gameboy!

Cacia: do not ship anything to Jordan via parcel post, it will get stuck in customs for weeks. Wadi Rum is awesome, Petra is cool too. I spend/spent quite a bit of time in Amman and Jordan, so if you want some advice/tips/whatever, let me know and I can help you figure out what to do.

I've done a few dives in Aqaba (got OW certified there :D), but with a different center.

great report, I'll be in Amman between May 11th and May 27th and thinking of a 3 day trip to Aqaba, looking into hooking up with DiveAqaba for a two day dive package, will it be OK to have my BC, regulator, computer and wet suit checked in instead of carry on? any other dive centers in Aqaba that are recommended?

I check in all my dive kit, dive computer I hand carry though.

There are a few operators around, perhaps you could try Dive Aqaba and another to compare, although if you want to use Nitrox you need to book ahead by at least the day / evening before with Dive Aqaba as they blend their mixes. Their boat also goes out every day and it could be that you are the only diver on the boat but don't worry one of their staff will dive with you at no extra charge.

Shore diving is also possible, but you may need to have somebody on the shore site to give some security to your kit, car keys, etc.

Water temperatures should be moving up a bit by the end of May to around 25/26 C

Enjoy

Most of the dive operators there that do shore diving will drive you to the beach in their truck and send out a DM/guide with you. If I remember correctly, the "rate" for a shore dive for most of those places is 30JD which includes air, weights, and DM/guide, but I think you can negotiate if you book a package.

I've gone with Aqaba Adventure Divers, which is a pretty low-key place south of the main city. They've got rooms that you can book if you don't want to stay at any of the bigger hotels or in the main city.

I dived with Seastar and was very happy with them in terms of professionalism, rental gear and friendliness. That's a couple of years ago, though, but judging by their reviews, the standard is still as high. I'd definitely go with them if I found myself in Aqaba again......

Gotta go......the turtles and rays are waiting for me out there :D
Karin

well now we have another option of flying to SHARM ALSHEAK in Egypt from Amman seems like hotel rates with flight is cheaper then Aqaba, if you had an option between Sharm and Aqaba which will you recommend?

Another update on the security at Amman airport, they are paranoid about batteries.

The second security check prior to boarding proved just as wearing as the earlier one, and once again the Emirates supervisor was called to confirm that he approved of me carrying my photographic gear as hand baggage.

The security staff wanted to remove and confiscate the batteries from my two SLRs :confused: Additional batteries were about to be confiscated (one Nikon battery and eight Eneloop rechargeables) however the Emirates supervisor managed to persuade them to leave them with me.

The lesson here is that all batteries go in the hold luggage when leaving via Amman airport.

What did you mean about "all the regulations?" for diving?

So, if you send the batteries in the checked bags, the rest of the camera equipment is okay to carry?

I usually check my housing in all the clothes and then hand carry the camera and lenses

got the "okay" today yeee haaaa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom