Dive Blacklight (UV Light)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I recently bought a "
395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395" from Amazon (costs $10) and a Princeton Tec TEC400 incandescent flashlight and switched the bulb & reflector from the dive light for the LED & reflectors. It was pretty simple ... took about 30 minutes ... it will be pretty self explanatory when you have the 2 flashlights in front of you. Unscrew the bulb and reflector from the mounting disc, block off where the centre of the bulb would have made contact with the disc (piece of tape worked for me) and then run a wire from the large spring that came with the UV light (completes the electrical circuit) through the plastic disc to the metal strapping (on the back of the disc) that the centre of the bulb would have connected to. It is most probably worthwhile attaching a small piece of wire at the end of the smaller spring so it is guaranteed to make contact with the circular strapping. Finally, the UV light is only 3 cell so you need to make a dummy cell for the battery housing (either a tape both ends of a cell and then run a wire from one end to the other (on the top of the tape) or fashion a piece of wooden dowel/broomstick with a wire from one end to the other).
We used this for the first time on a New Years Eve night dive and all I can say is "Wow! Amazing!". The UV light exceeded all expectations!
Gary

Hi,I recently bought a "
395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395
" from Amazon (costs $10) and a Princeton Tec TEC400 incandescent flashlight and switched the bulb & reflector from the dive light for the LED & reflectors. It was pretty simple ... took about 30 minutes ... it will be pretty self explanatory when you have the 2 flashlights in front of you. Unscrew the bulb and reflector from the mounting disc, block off where the centre of the bulb would have made contact with the disc (piece of tape worked for me) and then run a wire from the large spring that came with the UV light (completes the electrical circuit) through the plastic disc to the metal strapping (on the back of the disc) that the centre of the bulb would have connected to. It is most probably worthwhile attaching a small piece of wire at the end of the smaller spring so it is guaranteed to make contact with the circular strapping. Finally, the UV light is only 3 cell so you need to make a dummy cell for the battery housing (either a tape both ends of a cell and then run a wire from one end to the other (on the top of the tape) or fashion a piece of wooden dowel/broomstick with a wire from one end to the other).We used this for the first time on a New Years Eve night dive and all I can say is "Wow! Amazing!". The UV light exceeded all expectations!Gary

Last edited:
I temporarily converted my 21W HID Lightmonkey Can Light into a UV light for about $10.

Bought a Wood's Glass filter and glued it into the bottom of a neoprene beer Cozy. The whole thing slipped over the light head and worked remarkably well. The wood's glass (available from cinema supply stores) only passes UV light - and the HID generates lots of UV.

There was a lot of fluorescent flora / fauna on the reef dive off Key Largo. And the filtered light (although sufficient for the night dive) didn't destroy my night vision. It was an awesome way to see the reef.

Good luck,

Bjorn

Hi,
I recently bought a "
395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395" from Amazon (costs $10) and a Princeton Tec TEC400 incandescent flashlight and switched the bulb & reflector from the dive light for the LED & reflectors. It was pretty simple ... took about 30 minutes ... it will be pretty self explanatory when you have the 2 flashlights in front of you. Unscrew the bulb and reflector from the mounting disc, block off where the centre of the bulb would have made contact with the disc (piece of tape worked for me) and then run a wire from the large spring that came with the UV light (completes the electrical circuit) through the plastic disc to the metal strapping (on the back of the disc) that the centre of the bulb would have connected to. It is most probably worthwhile attaching a small piece of wire at the end of the smaller spring so it is guaranteed to make contact with the circular strapping. Finally, the UV light is only 3 cell so you need to make a dummy cell for the battery housing (either a tape both ends of a cell and then run a wire from one end to the other (on the top of the tape) or fashion a piece of wooden dowel/broomstick with a wire from one end to the other).
We used this for the first time on a New Years Eve night dive and all I can say is "Wow! Amazing!". The UV light exceeded all expectations!
Gary
Thanks for this. Bought one of those lights on Amazon and we already had a TEC400 lying around which wasn't getting used. Worked nicely.

Now I'm wondering if I could find a UV light with an LED head that could work in either an old Princeton Tec Surge, or a UK400. Anybody done that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom