Dive Blacklight (UV Light)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LardB, I have been searching high and low for this type of set up (FireDiveGear.com: Filters) . Thank you!

I am shooting with the sealife DC1200 and I haven't been able to find anything specific to that camera, I guess I would have to make my own. I know you had said "the yellow perspex material for the mask and camera filters can be found at a local plastics supplier. It’s like any other business that sells material whether it is metal, wood, stone…….whatever. They just sell hundreds of different types of plastic." Do you know if I can get any acrylic/perspex yellow and blue or are there certain properties that are required?

LarsB, I have been searching high and low for this type of set up (FireDiveGear.com: Filters) . Thank you!

I am shooting with the sealife DC1200 and I haven't been able to find anything specific to that camera, I guess I would have to make my own. I know you had said "the yellow perspex material for the mask and camera filters can be found at a local plastics supplier. It’s like any other business that sells material whether it is metal, wood, stone…….whatever. They just sell hundreds of different types of plastic." Do you know if I can get any acrylic/perspex yellow and blue or are there certain properties that are required?

Hi rydog,

in principle the yellow filter needs to have very precise spectral properties, as you can see in FireDiveGear.com: Barrier Filters.
In practice however I think that you will be able to observe fluorescence with almost any yellow filter, the results may just be a bit different.
If you want to optimize the aesthetic effect, however, then you may have to experiment with several different materials/colours.

About the same goes for the excitation filters; for optimal results very precise spectral properties are needed (see also FireDiveGear.com: Excitation Filters).
In practice almost any blue filter might at least allow you to observe fluorescence, but the result may not be optimal.

Note that FireDiveGear.com: Gear For Fluorescence Diving also sells excitation filters (see FireDiveGear.com: Products) separately.

Hope this helps. :)

LarsB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom