Dive boat sinks near Islamorada 1 dead 7 rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread title is somewhat misleading. It was based on the first news story to hit the net, which erroneously claimed that it happened off of Islamorada Key. Molasses reef is close to Key Largo, the base for this Op.

Anybody got the correct information why the 'Get Wet' went down? Fur shure, no speculation, please.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged...

Reactions: Jax
Spoke briefly to one of my Advanced students who was on the other boat. He helped the DM do CPR. He and 3 of my other Adv OW divers were on board when they went to the aid of the down boat.

Only had a minute to chat with him, but will talk with him again in the next few days. He said after this event he's ready to take my Rescue Course.

That's tragic. Water coming in everyone should have put on a PFD but things can happen fast, sorry for everyone involved.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged...
That actions did not include merging this lengthy thread with more info in the local forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...cuba-shacks-boat-get-wet-sinks-key-largo.html
That's tragic. Water coming in everyone should have put on a PFD but things can happen fast, sorry for everyone involved.
The 2 Discover students were caught in the front of the boat and it capsized. You don't really want to secure the PFD until you are at the exit.

Molasses Reef is shallow, yes? As I recall, it's about 27 feet in depth. I could be wrong about this. Can anyone provide information about the location of the sinking.

what is there to learn from this mishap? Too much water in the boat is all I got so far.

Is this bottled water? was there a storm? large swells? someone left plug out of boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom