Dive boats on fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not understand "Because of the wind . . . the boats caught fire . . "?

Was there a fire someplace else, and the boats caught fire from that fire?

Or did one boat catch fire, and the wind caused the fire to go to the other four boats?

From the pictures looks like they had those boats stacked pretty close to each other. It also looks like many weren't dive boats, but vessels of other kinds. Fiberglass burns very hot if you can get it to burn, and as close as the boats were to each other, and if the wind were blowing hard keeping the flames fanned, I can see the fire spreading. Burning fiberglass smoke will permeate the other downwind boats even if they didn't burn. They will have to replace cushions, mattresses, etc. It's pretty much a disaster.

I wonder if this is low season for the Red Sea liveaboard fleet and that's why they were all hauled out? There are a lot of boats for sale there right now, but some of those boats are scheduled back on charter.

Collective insurance job in recession?
A couple of weeks ago 2 dive boats went on fire in Safaga dry dock and it was a total loss. It was said it was due to an electrical shortage caused by the rain. The dry dock was closed for a couple of weeks and just re-opened 2 days ago after an investigation.

Won't speculate about an others misfortunes. In the US, the boat is insured right up until you haul it out. At that point the boatyard's insurance takes over. If there is a fire on the boat, the hull insurance company fights it out with the boatyard's insurance company to determine who is more to blame. He who has 51% buys the new boat...

I understand from my manager that the Typhoon was almost completely destroyed and from the sound of it is not salvageable. Two of my colleauges used to work the Tornado and hopefully will have more info later today. VIP I had her top deck damaged but I understand she is still sea-worthy. No specific news on the Hyatt; luckily, there appear to be no human casualties.

For people who don't know the area (specifically the fanatics), there are hundreds, if not thousands of dive boats operating in the red sea; it's a big area. Suez dry dock services a large percentage of these.

Will update if I get any more news.

C.

From the pictures looks like they had those boats stacked pretty close to each other. It also looks like many weren't dive boats, but vessels of other kinds. Fiberglass burns very hot if you can get it to burn, and as close as the boats were to each other, and if the wind were blowing hard keeping the flames fanned, I can see the fire spreading. Burning fiberglass smoke will permeate the other downwind boats even if they didn't burn. They will have to replace cushions, mattresses, etc. It's pretty much a disaster.

I wonder if this is low season for the Red Sea liveaboard fleet and that's why they were all hauled out? There are a lot of boats for sale there right now, but some of those boats are scheduled back on charter.

Also if the fire burnt through the mooring lines, the boats could break free and the wind would push them together. This happened in Sydney recently when one boat in a marina caught fire, started drifting when it's lines burnted through and started a chain reaction when the second boat broke free etc.

Something I was told yesterday is that the Typhoon's insurance does not cover her in dry dock, neither is the dry dock insured against accidents like this. The Tornado operation has lost two vessels in the last 12 months, and itt's also been a very slow year in the Red Sea. Whilst an insurance job is not beyond the realms of possibility, it is unlikely that the pride of the fleet would be the one to get torched.

Tornado have other boats, and I am sure will honour bookings, however you will need to contact them directly of course if you have made bookings. They have lost two vessels in what has been a poor season for business...

Please also spare a thought for the Egyptian crews who are now unemployed, and in the case of the MV Typhoon, homeless.

Cheers

C.

Edit: Please see the new thread for the CDWS press release.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom