Dive Buddies - Labor Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will park at South Crescent Bay, near the restroom and ramp. I will then stroll up the hill to say hello and look over the conditions.

Cool !! Glad you can make it Melvin. By the way, I was trying to figure out why the swell model was so far off in predicting the hurricane swells today, and it looks like it only uses data from the buoy at Pt. Arguello up north, and feeds that into their computer which runs a simulation. Which means if swells come from the south, it doesn't know about them until they've passed us and hit the buoy. What they say in the FAQ at the Scripps website is "However, for a south swell, the waves have pretty much hit all the Southern California beaches before reaching the platform, making the estimates of a south swell more of a hindcast."

Geesh. So for south swells it tells you that the waves were too big for diving yesterday.

Did you have better luck at Crescent today than we had at CDM yesterday? I'm hoping it worked out for you.
Sapphire, how was San Diego?
Well, it's 10:30 and I'm still in my pj's waking up, so my Labor Day plans are working out splendidly! :D Sorry that things didn't go as planned yesterday, but it was still fun hanging out with everyone. Hopefully we'll be able to succesfully dive try it again once conditions calm down.

I may do a night dive in Malibu tonight, depending on conditions. What have we heard about the surf?

Unfortunately, Crescent was about the same as Corona Del Mar. I'm assuming they're going to close Laguna again today. Last night I got an email from the local Orange Cty. dive group that frequents Laguna every weekend, and they decided to go to Malaga Cove today instead, since it's north facing. I'm dying to hear how it went. We were kinda thinking about maybe doing that, but I decided to get back and knock out some stuff on my endless list of things to do today, and I think some of the others went for breakfast. So you picked a good day for PJ's.

Jim,
I called the Laguna Beach Life Guard beach report. At 7:00 a.m they were reporting yellow Flag, 2-4 foot waves, 8-10 foot visibility and yes, the beaches in the city limites are closed to SCUBA.

Yep, you have a good copy of the buoys. Some days they show horrible conditions, but at beach side, it is just fine. Other days (like now) they show fine, and well, you saw it. So it pays to go look. I came this moringing but I was betting we would not be diving. Made emergency plans with Sean for tomorrow.

PhotoTJ:
I may do a night dive in Malibu tonight, depending on conditions. What have we heard about the surf?

Maibu County Life Guard (Malibu Zuma Surf Report updated 0700 & 1200 hrs. 310 457-9701) reports clear skys, wind out of the east at 3 mph, light ripple to the ocean surface. Zuma 1-2 foot with the occasional 3 foot wave. Strong cross current, 114 Rescues yesterday at Zuma. Mailbu is 1-2 feet, Diving condigions are "good" and visiblity reprted at 15 feet.

Melvin, did you call the Laguna Beach surf conditions last night? Kinda funny. The guy making the recording was about halfway thru his report, and seemed to be getting lost or didn't have the info he needed or something, and suddenly under his breath said "*#@ dammit !!" and hung up.

He funny....

Sounds like a bunch of folks went to Malaga today (13 in one of the dive clubs), and got no swells and 10-20 ft visibility. ARRGGHHH !!! Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

saf_25:
Did you have better luck at Crescent today than we had at CDM yesterday? I'm hoping it worked out for you.
Sapphire, how was San Diego?
Well, it's 10:30 and I'm still in my pj's waking up, so my Labor Day plans are working out splendidly! :D Sorry that things didn't go as planned yesterday, but it was still fun hanging out with everyone. Hopefully we'll be able to succesfully dive try it again once conditions calm down.

San Diego was beautiful... they did not have the swell like we did up here.

Even though I had to get up at 5 AM (arrgh), it was worth it...

First dive was Scripps Canyon, it was c-c-c-cold in my wetsuit (54 at depth) but interesting topography and some cool things. Second dive was the Marine Room in La Jolla, shallow and a bit surgy but many fun lobsters, a school of something that I don't know, small stingrays and a big batray (seen by my buddy but not me). Successfully avoided many, many kayaks on the swim out and back. Stopped by Mt. Soledad Memorial after the dive... it was interesting, and a fantastic spot to see all over the San Diego area!

It was a great day and made up for missing out on diving Sunday at Corona Del Mar.

I look forward to seeing many of you on the 18th in Catalina!!

jennifer

Back
Top Bottom