Dive Class Population.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly, my class had 12 in it, and two instructors. They had us switch around and buddy up with different people in the pool, which was good for learning.

For a bunch of logistical reasons, I ended up doing all my open water dives alone with an instructor.

started with 9 ended with 8 we had class work for an hour and pool for about 3 hrs on monday nights:
took 7 weeks....best class i have ever taken...for some reason it led me to take more classes with the same lds lol
note the one we lost did not quit on her own she had a med. issue :depressed:

Last edited:
My OW was a class of 2, my brother and I. Our instruction was > one-on-one as it was slow, and all of the shop staff wanted to dive. :)

Our classroom had 10 students with an Instructor, 2 AIs and a DM. Our closed water dives (in the shop pool) had 11 students with the same number of instructors/pros.

My OW dives (by referral) had me and another student with an instructor and an unofficial DM (actually 2) the first day and then 4 students with the Instructor, an official DM and the same two unofficial DMs from day one. I don't think the OW dives were typical though...

I guess my OW class was one of the larger ones. We had 8 students, 3 of whom were teens, 2 in their 20s, 2 in their 30s, 1 in his 50s. The class was taught by an instructor with a DM assistant who was working on his instructor training. We had 1 evening intro session and 4 weekend days (over 2 weekends) that each included about 2 hours of class time and 2-3 hours of pool time. I didn't feel like the class was too big, because we had plenty of time in the pool for people who had trouble with a skill to work it out with the instructor. Everyone else would just practice things they had already learned, with the DM supervising. Or relax and play around a bit.

For our OW checkout dives, we did a trip through the same shop. There were 3 students doing checkout dives, the instructor, and one certified diver along for fun (trying out new gear and watching his grandson's checkout dives).

There were dozens of people from other dive shops on the last two checkout dives, which were on a Saturday. It was a little too crowded. Trying to do nav underwater while avoiding the fins of divers above you, hmmm...

Last edited:
In my ow, aow and rescue classes there were only two students in each of them. I did all of them in Philippines ie away from home.

My course was taught over 2 weeks, with the final dives being the last weekend! I was pretty lucky, my class consisted of only 3 people; but I was taking the class off-season.

Congrats on getting OW certified, you won't regret the experiences you have in store!

Back
Top Bottom