Dive clubs around Kansas city?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life got in the way, and I spent a bit of time out of the water. But in the time frame you are looking at, I will likely be hitting Stockton Lake around that time. If you have never been to Stockton, the vis is usually pretty low but is sometimes surprising. It is a great place to work on basic skills and comfort levels. Let me know if you feel like giving it a go.

Life has a way of doing that. As a guy in a landlocked state, I can't be too terribly picky about places to get wet. I dove late fall last year in the quarry, so I need to do exactly as you state, practice skills and get back into the groove.

Definitely keep me in the loop as to when you decide to do Stockton and I'll see if I can make my schedule work. Unless I took a day off (which is possible), the earliest I could dive would be 28th May.

Hey @Dark Wolf - Kyle,
We could see the sunlight rippling on the surface from 90’ at Beaver a few weeks ago. The rain hurt the vis last weekend but still 40‘ at most depths. @MiiisterAnderson said something about maybe coming down weekend of 5/21. See if you can join us. I expect will be 30-40 divers here by then. Water is warming up quickly.

For those who need a dive shop, the one that’s just a few miles away has opened under new management and I hear made quite a few improvements.

Not saying there is much here, but we do have a FB group in Des Moines that posts things in different places.
Not to highjack the KC post, but I'm in Ankeny. What's the FB group? I see Big Creek tagged as a dive site...

Not to highjack the KC post, but I'm in Ankeny. What's the FB group? I see Big Creek tagged as a dive site...
Greater Des Moines area divers
Also eastern Iowa scuba divers

Not positive on big creek, but pretty sure it would be like diving in chocolate milk. There is a private spot near pella, and Atlantic are the two closest ones. There are several quarries near Humboldt and then big blue in mason city (where we are heading this weekend).

Life has a way of doing that. As a guy in a landlocked state, I can't be too terribly picky about places to get wet. I dove late fall last year in the quarry, so I need to do exactly as you state, practice skills and get back into the groove.

Definitely keep me in the loop as to when you decide to do Stockton and I'll see if I can make my schedule work. Unless I took a day off (which is possible), the earliest I could dive would be 28th May.
It sure does! I will send you a message with my contact details.

DW

Hey @Dark Wolf - Kyle,
We could see the sunlight rippling on the surface from 90’ at Beaver a few weeks ago. The rain hurt the vis last weekend but still 40‘ at most depths. @MiiisterAnderson said something about maybe coming down weekend of 5/21. See if you can join us. I expect will be 30-40 divers here by then. Water is warming up quickly.

For those who need a dive shop, the one that’s just a few miles away has opened under new management and I hear made quite a few improvements.

I plan to make some trips to Beaver this year, but it will probably be after that. I will keep you posted.

DW

Hey everyone! Like the OP I am also looking for active clubs and groups in the kansas area. Thanks for all the replies already to this thread, it's super helpful. I am relocating to Kansas City area from Germany in June (stationed in Europe for 4 years with the Army). Looking forward finding some new dive spots and meeting some great people.

There is a Kansas City Scuba Divers group on facebook with a few hundred members. There is currently an event posted in that group for some diving at Stockton Lake on May 14th. May be a chilly dive though!

I would also be interested in a trip to stockton/tablerock/beaver within the next couple of months!

There is a Kansas City Scuba Divers group on facebook with a few hundred members. There is currently an event posted in that group for some diving at Stockton Lake on May 14th. May be a chilly dive though!

I would also be interested in a trip to stockton/tablerock/beaver within the next couple of months!
I am in KC and am looking for a dive buddy to go to Beaver Lake, AR in the next few weekends.

I plan to make some trips to Beaver this year, but it will probably be after that. I will keep you posted.

DW
Know of any groups planning to be at Beaver Lake this coming weekend? Looking for a dive buddy.

Back
Top Bottom