Dive Computer vs Pressure & Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving (about 20 years ago) I had the same dilemma as you. Long story short? I highly recommend a dive computer. Once I bought a decent dive computer I regretted trying to settle for the other options. If it's possible for you to save up more and hold off until you can buy a dive computer then I would go that route. Of course you always manually calculate your dive tables in case of malfunction. I have a backup dive table calculation written down and in my BCD pocket during my dive. However, I have made calculations in the sand or side of the rock if necessary, but that has happened rarely. Your choice of dive computer depends on your preference.

I use a wrist computer to show me depth and time, and an SPG for pressure. I do not need to know my pressure on a moment-to-moment basis, like I do my depth; it simply doesn't change that fast. Checking every five minutes is enough (and even less frequently if the dive is extremely shallow). I will admit, having used an AI wrist computer on occasion, that it's a convenience to be able to check my pressure without raising my gauge, but it's not one for which I would be willing to pay very much money.

You should be able to equip yourself with a functional pressure gauge AND a simple wrist-mounted, Nitrox-capable computer for under $500.

I use both an AI computer and a SPG, just in case the computer fails. However, my situation is different from yours in that I already had the SPG when I bought the AI computer.

By the way, I also dive with two computers, even if only one of them is air integrated.

As far as I am concerned, redundancy makes me feel safer underwater, which in turn allows me to enjoy diving even more.

Basically you can spend as much as you want on any number of variations of technical solutions - but my input for what it is worth is that I prefer to use a wrist mounted computer for depth and time, but I use it as a backup for no deco limits and safety stops etc.

The Air Integrated (tank sender) on my wrist computer failed after 30 or 40 dives, and hasn't worked since so personally I don't trust AI with a sender for air, but that is just my personal experience. I also have a console computer which is air integrated (i.e. attached to the tank via an hp hose) which is what I use for gas and deco/safety stops. I don't have an analogue depth gauge because the one I first bought was very slow to react and inaccurate so I ditched it pretty quickly. In side mount I dive the wrist computer for depth and dive times and NDL, and use two Hollis brass pressure gauges on the first stages (one each tank).

So basically in your position I would be inclined to go for an analogue pressure gauge on an HP hose for pressure, and use a wrist computer for depth, dive time, NDL's and safety stop times etc.

I won't mention the make - it is irrelevant here, but I have regularly had problems with transmitters on air integrated computer but have never had problems with the depth, dive time and so on with them. Whilst you are looking at consoles I would also suggest you steer away from getting a console with a compass in it as well, I have never had much success with holding it far enough away from me to see it properly (my age) or to line it up and navigate with it, so you may want to think of a separate compass, either wrist mounted or on an extender (which is what I use).

But at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice, and you need to find what works for you - dive safe and have fun - Phil

OP --your question will raise as many answers as there are posters on the thread. Everybody has their opinion as to what is best.

The variations are almost limitless.

Start out with a mini gauge set then swapout to computer-saving the mini set for your next step in gear.
Go straight to computer -maybee later buying a "better" computer and your first becomes a backup.
Not ever buy a computer-stick with depth/pressure gauge
Thats just three ideas.
I guess you need to think about what kind of diving you are doing and gear up to suit.
I've got an ai computer with built in compass which for local single dives is fine.-computer dies we just thumb the dive.
For travel diving I drag along a mini gauge set as backup. if my computer should die then thats my diving done for the day.
If truely dead I'll go to the mini set and dive the square profile.

OP --your question will raise as many answers as there are posters on the thread. Everybody has their opinion as to what is best.

I think you are right in this case, however after reading all of your feedback I strongly feel that the best option at this point in time is to go with an SPG for pressure and with a dive computer for depth and bottom time. My brief search made me realise that the Oceanic Geo 2.0 is the best fit for me (please educate me if you believe that I am making the wrong choice).

Leisurepro has a nice discount on the Geo 2.0 from 400$ to 279$ - locally the computer sells for 550$ (so its quite an appealing offer). I did read in some reviews that the Geo 2 is hard to operate at first but once one would become familiar with the options, the Geo 2.0 would be good for someone in my position (+-50 dives and not planning on going deeper than 35m).

Pat

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 04:06 PM ----------

On a recreational dive, if your AI computer fails, you can always surface.

That is the main idea behind my reasoning - why need an SPG if i have all the data i need on my wrist

I'm a side mount diver but when i'm diving singles i prefer to have my DG03 on my left hand compass attached to retractor clip on right shoulder and 2" streamline pressure gauge on clipped on the left shoulder with a retractor. I'm not a fan of all intergraded. i like my information shoulder level.

Back
Top Bottom