Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At last you understand my problem ,i asked the divershop guy and he told me that they only have lenses for miopia but tommorow i will visit my eyeglass store to see what they have to say.

How bad's your presbyopia? I have no trouble reading the numbers on my Leonardo, but for me 1.25 to 1.5 readers and a flashlight are good enough for smallest print. So aside from recommending a thousand-dollar computer with a huge colour screen, I doubt anyone can tell you anything really useful. Well, other than reader lenses for your mask.

Keep in mind that in some of them (Leonardo at least), once water gets under the protective plastic, it has magnifying effect. I.e. what you see in the store isn't exactly what you'll see underwater. (That doesn't help, I know.)

Why would you say to forget about the Zoop? The computers you listed all have much smaller and less readable screens than the Zoom Novo, which not only has a larger screen but has a very clear matrix display. People can argue about which algorithm is the best, but for a beginner rec diver the algorithm doesn't matter.

I use reading glasses and I have no issue at all with the choices I recommended. I don't like the Zoop Novo for several reasons all based on actual use. The choices I recommended are a much better value in terms of features, algorithm and overall value.

If you like the Zoop Novo, more power to you and enjoy it. I don't like any of the Suunto computers and won't buy any of their computers anymore. I am switching ALL of the Suunto computers I have in my diver training/rental fleet and my personal ones to AL/SP computers as budget allows. I have been a Suunto computer user (almost exclusively) since the early 90's but decided, for several reasons, not to use them anymore at all.

Hi,thanks for the reply are the numbers in those computers large enough?

I need reading glasses and have difficulties reading small numbers on dive computers but these computers appear to be OK for me but it would depend on your prescription. You should also consider "stick on" lenses/gauge readers.

Really good displays are expensive, and thus aren't used in entry level (i.e. inexpensive) computers. Entry level computers use LCD displays made up of multiple 7-segment elements; higher-end computers use LED dot-matrix displays. My first computer was a Mares Nemo Wide, bought because it had a large display and my vision was showing age-related deterioration. Turned out the display size didn't matter that much because the display contrast was low, and the letters and numbers rendered from 7-segment elements were difficult to decipher, so it was still hard to read. I've also gotten a Mares Puck and a Cressi Leonardo for family members, and they suffer from the same display issues. With all of those computers I have to squint at and study the display to understand the information on it. I now dive with a Shearwater Petrel, which has a beautiful, crisp, colorful display -- the information just 'pops out'; I just glance at it and have all the info I need instantly. Of course, you have to pay for this class of computer. On the other hand, once you start adding up the costs of corrective lenses, computer connection cables (which are extra for low end computers; connectivity is built-in to higher end ones), and the like, the cost difference might not be so much. There are lots of these higher-end dive computers around now with LED/OLED/ALED etc. displays, but you're looking at probably $600 - $1500 for one.

I put a magnifying glass on a retractor for my wife so she could read her gauges then it doesn’t matter what computer you get. Also it’s great to look at small critters with.

This forum can be a fantastic place to ask for gear recommendations.....and sometimes it is not. The general recommendation you are going to get is whatever the current "trend" is that makes you appear "tech". So if you ask about a BCD you will get 19 out of 20 posts that all say you don't want a poodle jacket you gotta have a back plate and wing. If you ask about a reg 11 out of 12 will say DIN is the only way to go, got to have it. Ask about a computer and the most common posts all say wrist with a remote transmitter on your reg. It's the latest thing out. No matter the reason you are asking the inherent need to look "tech" trumps all.
There's no vice like advice. I think the best thing you can do is go straight to the problem. Whatever you need to do to get your eyesight corrected for underwater vision should be first. It just might prove that your computer isn't the only thing you will need to see while diving. I will suggest one other reason...seeing a dive computer is for sure most of the issue. If you cant see it you cant read it and do what it is telling you and that could be dangerous. The other issue is being able to easily use it. Most are made to work with relative ease and not too much familiarizing. Many are overly complicated and whether you can see it or not if you don't understand fully how to use it or if it is just to cluttered with complications it is no good anyway.
The point is if your vision is corrected so that you can read any of them then you can really pick the one that works best and easiest for you. Just having big numbers and letters wont do if the thing is so ridiculously complicated that it's not fun and easy to use. Best of luck.

I put a magnifying glass on a retractor for my wife so she could read her gauges then it doesn’t matter what computer you get. Also it’s great to look at small critters with.

How does that work exactly? If your wife has her computer in a gauge she's gotta use both hands everytime she reads it (one holding the gauge, one holding the magnifier). If it's wrist mounted then she's still gotta hold one hand over the other. It's inconvenient and not practical and can easily lead to not checking the computer as often as it should be.

Whatever you need to do to get your eyesight corrected for underwater vision should be first.

Refractive vision correction does not address the loss of near vision with age, except when one eye is intentionally corrected for close vision and that can and often does adversely affect distance vision.

How does that work exactly? If your wife has her computer in a gauge she's gotta use both hands everytime she reads it (one holding the gauge, one holding the magnifier). If it's wrist mounted then she's still gotta hold one hand over the other. It's inconvenient and not practical and can easily lead to not checking the computer as often as it should be.

Way over thinking it she uses a wrist mount computer and usually has the magnifying glass out looking at small stuff anyway and just slips it over the computer once in awhile to check. Also how often should you Check your computer she is great on her air consumption and has a good since of it so it’s not much of a task load.

Way over thinking it she uses a wrist mount computer and usually has the magnifying glass out looking at small stuff anyway and just slips it over the computer once in awhile to check.

I'm picturing her at her safety stop watching the 3 minute countdown using the magnifier and I find it amusing for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom