Dive computers and 3 dives in a day with different gases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the manual your air mode will be locked out after you perform a Nitrox dive. So as others have mentioned you will have to use Nitrox mode with 21% O2 and you would be fine

Additionally, this computer and others will reset your Nitrox to 50% for any dive following a nitrox dive...

this is to ensure that you enter your O2 setting accurately before every dive as Dennis suggested

check the manual for your particular computer for that... mine won't reset it to 50% -- unless i turn that option on in the settings. and make sure the tanks are analyzed & marked (should go without saying but) especially since mixing gases

As others stated so long as it does Nitrox, it should work fine. Air is just 21% Nitrox :D
also +1 for iDeco Pro. I've been using it for all my deco diving lately and its pretty handy at the dive site! Easy to use even for recreational divers!

ideco pro is only good if you've got an *shudders* iphone though ---anybody got a recommendation for android?

If my first dive is Nitrox (which it is always set at in NC), both my computers (Aeris and Suunto) will hold that O2 setting on subsequent dives as long as they are part of the same dive series. Key is to know what your computer does.

RTFM

I leave my Suunto on nitrox all the time. I think all nitrox capable dive computers will let you set different percentage mixes for different dives in a series, since there's no guarantee each of your tanks will gauge out at the same nitrox mix. I've gotten some fills where one tank is 32% and another filled at the same time could be 31% or 33%, and dive computers have to support that reality. I think most, if not all, dive computers will let you switch from air to nitrox part way through a dive series, and then once it's in nitrox mode it will stay that way until everything clears

Most dive computers won't let you switch nitrox percentages part way through a dive, such as if you start with air, ascend part way to the surface, switch tanks to a higher O2 mix (i.e., you have a second tank down there with you) and then finish your dive on that, but some of the higher end ones will even do that

According to the manual your air mode will be locked out after you perform a Nitrox dive. So as others have mentioned you will have to use Nitrox mode with 21% O2 and you would be fine

Additionally, this computer and others will reset your Nitrox to 50% for any dive following a nitrox dive...

this is to ensure that you enter your O2 setting accurately before every dive as Dennis suggested

You can switch that off very easily. I can see why the feature is there for a liability reason but not being able to change the gas on the fly for my watch makes the feature completely ridiculous if the alarm activates when you're already 15m under water.

Back
Top Bottom