Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sponge_bob

Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a dive computer, but Im really not sure if it is worth the money. What are the advantages of having one? I usually dive a couple times a year both salt and fresh. TIA

My opinion is that if you're a casual diver and don't want to be occupied with the dive tables then a computer is your best friend. It keeps you safe. It also keeps track of your dive(s) so that you can calculate your profile and next dive(s) appropriately. If you're diving EANx it also (if equipped for Nitrox) adjusts the NDC limits for the change in air mix.

'Slogger

sponge_bob:
Im thinking about getting a dive computer, but Im really not sure if it is worth the money. What are the advantages of having one? I usually dive a couple times a year both salt and fresh. TIA
The advantages of having a computer are that they do a better job of tracking theoretical gas absorption in the body because they enter into the algorithm actual depth data from a periodic real-time sample (you can set the sampling period) rather than using a planned max depth for the entire Bottom Time (BT) duration as is the norm when dive planning with tables. This generally results in longer bottom times.

That said, if you only dive a couple times a year you may want to think about renting. For the ~$300 (low end) to ~$900.00 (high end) or more that you'll pay for a dive computer, to have it sit in your gear bag for 95% of each year, I suspect you'll see a really low return-on-investment value. My understanding is that you can make arrangements to rent them at many resort dive destinations.

For significantly more information on this topic, do a search: command line at the top of the page, third button from the right, click on 'Search', then click on 'Advanced Search', enter keywords such as "Computers Suck" or "Love My New Computer" to find more drama and angst than you ever wanted to read. :wink:

FWIW, I've been diving since 1975 and still don't own a computer. You can do fine without one. Whatever you buy this year will be outdated by the end of this year. But for some people they're the catsass. Choice is a wonderful thing! :D

Welcome to ScubaBoard,

Doc

I recommended Sunto mosquito for recreational dive inexpensive and reliable stuff

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to pick up a Aladin Tec today. Anybody use one of these? How are they compared to other computers out there

Actually, a nitrox/air computer can be had in a wrist unit for about $250, and when rentals are normally 10 - $20 a day, it's not hard to justify ownership - even if only doing a trip or two a year.

The Tec is a nice little hockey puck for just over $300, http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AladinTecCapsule or you can do oceanic for about $50 less... either is fine. The oceanic will allow for more dive time as it is a more liberal algorithm vs the uwatecs.

sponge_bob:
Thanks for the info guys. Im going to pick up a Aladin Tec today. Anybody use one of these? How are they compared to other computers out there

Thats cool. I just got one myself after diving for several years without owning one. I felt that for the most part I didn't need one since I don't usually dive very deep, even though I dive a lot. Looking at the tables I've always been well within. But soon I'm going on a weeklong dive trip to Bonaire and doing as many dives a day as I plan to do it starts to get necessary. I'm planning on doing more deep diving this year too, so it was time.
I got the oceanic veo100 which is about the lowest price one you can get, but it will serve my purposes fine I'm sure.

John C.

You can do fine without one. Whatever you buy this year will be outdated by the end of this year. But for some people they're the catsass.
I feel much more comfortable with mine tracking everything so I can think about other things - like enjoying the diving. I wear two - my 2 year old Versa Pro and 4 year old Oceanic something.

The problem with renting one is you don't really know what you have, won't know what it means, may screw up the settings and lock yourself out needlessly. If you're gonna' dive one, I suggest hiding the cheat-sheet card so you won't try to get by one it, then studying the manual until you know the machine very well - then run simulated dives.
mixed-smiley-019.gif

I got the oceanic veo100 which is about the lowest price one you can get, but it will serve my purposes fine I'm sure.
My lady dive buddy got one of those - they're sweet. Oceanics are considered more liberal than others, but - the manual says to surface in the green - not the yellow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom