Backup Computer with different algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pangeababy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using a Sherwood Amphos Air dive computer for 5 years. No problems, no issues, air integrated, works great for me. I bought an old ScubaPro Aladdin Square with the idea of using it as a back-up. It runs on a different algorithm. What are the pros & cons of this approach? Any sage advice out there? TIA

I have been using a Sherwood Amphos Air dive computer for 5 years. No problems, no issues, air integrated, works great for me. I bought an old ScubaPro Aladdin Square with the idea of using it as a back-up. It runs on a different algorithm. What are the pros & cons of this approach? Any sage advice out there? TIA
You should dive according to which is most conservative....and that may vary for repetitive dives.
It'll likely drive you nuts after a while and you'll find two computers with the same algorithm.

As one of my two identical computers died recently, I find myself in the same position. I'm using my wife's computer as a backup when she isn't diving with me. It's a pain in the arse and as tursiops says, you are obliged to dive the most conservative algorithm. An alternative might be to have one computer in gauge mode if that's an option. Either way, not ideal.

You should dive according to which is most conservative....and that may vary for repetitive dives.
It'll likely drive you nuts after a while and you'll find two computers with the same algorithm.
Lol, ok, that’s a valid point!

As one of my two identical computers died recently, I find myself in the same position. I'm using my wife's computer as a backup when she isn't diving with me. It's a pain in the arse and as tursiops says, you are obliged to dive the most conservative algorithm. An alternative might be to have one computer in gauge mode if that's an option. Either way, not ideal.
Hmmm. Why in gauge mode? I understand not ideal but didnt necessarily want to buy a second Amphos air and was hoping to go to a new DC someday. Thought I could maybe use my Sherwood as a backup then.

They will give slightly different numbers. As long as you keep them both happy (stay with the more conservative computer) all will be fine.

If you are trying to push right up the the edge you will have to check both and see which one has a closer edge.

It's not like they are talking to each other. You are not going to have one fighting the other. But you can have issues if you don't like the numbers on the more conservative one and ignore it. You will piss it off and completely negated the reason for having a backup. If that one has an alarm, everyone around you that has any hearing left will be hating you for the alarm that will not shut off.

They will give slightly different numbers. As long as you keep them both happy (stay with the more conservative computer) all will be fine.

If you are trying to push right up the the edge you will have to check both and see which one has a closer edge.

It's not like they are talking to each other. You are not going to have one fighting the other. But you can have issues if you don't like the numbers on the more conservative one and ignore it. You will piss it off and completely negated the reason for having a backup. If that one has an alarm, everyone around you that has any hearing left will be hating you for the alarm that will not shut off.
thanks broncobowsher! Not an edge pusher, me.

Hmmm. Why in gauge mode? I understand not ideal but didnt necessarily want to buy a second Amphos air and was hoping to go to a new DC someday. Thought I could maybe use my Sherwood as a backup then.

Because you don't have to worry about "upsetting" one or other computer and if the primary computer does crap out, you have the gauge to give you your depth and dive time, then you have to use the computer between your ears. As I said, not ideal.

Since you already have both, go dive them. I think you will find it isn't as big of a deal as you are thinking it will be. Really no different than diving with a buddy who has a different computer than you.

I had different algorithms once (before I knew better). I had the Aeris A300 CS (as it had AI) and the Cressi Leonardo (with the garbage RGBM algorithm). In a trip to Hawaii, the Cressi was left in my room fairly quickly. Just too conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom