Backup Computer with different algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Pangeababy

It's not difficult diving with 2 computers with different algorithms. Your Sherwood computer runs DSAT, a liberal deco algorithm, roughly equivalent to Buhlmann GF high of 95. Your Scubapro computer runs one of their Buhlmann ADT MB algorithms and will be moderate/middle of the road in the spectrum between conservative and liberal.

Your more conservative computer will always control your no stop dive unless you are willing to clear any deco obligation to avoid Scubapro's SOS and lockout. After trying the 2 computers, you will find the difference tolerable or not. You are used to diving a liberal computer.

I would suggest setting the Aladin Square at a MB level of zero (L0) and having the profile dependent intermediate stop (PDIS) turned off. I assume you are not using a heart rate strap so you don't have to worry about the heart rate/work load setting.

Give it a try and see if you can tolerate the NDL difference between the 2 computers. Worst outcome is that you can't, and then you can resell the Aladin

In @wetb4igetinthewater example, above, he was diving one computer running DSAT and one RGBM, nearly the largest difference possible. No wonder he ditched the Cressi.

Since you already have both, go dive them. I think you will find it isn't as big of a deal as you are thinking it will be. Really no different than diving with a buddy who has a different computer than you.
I was thinking I’d do that… see which is more conservative and see how much of a pain it is to plan and set up both computers before a dive…

I was thinking I’d do that… see which is more conservative and see how much of a pain it is to plan and set up both computers before a dive…
Which is more conservative may depend on whether it is the first dive of the day or a repetitive dive.

Hi @Pangeababy

It's not difficult diving with 2 computers with different algorithms. Your Sherwood computer runs DSAT, a liberal deco algorithm, roughly equivalent to Buhlmann GF high of 95. Your Scubapro computer runs one of their Buhlmann ADT MB algorithms and will be moderate/middle of the road in the spectrum between conservative and liberal.

Your more conservative computer will always control your no stop dive unless you are willing to clear any deco obligation to avoid Scubapro's SOS and lockout. After trying the 2 computers, you will find the difference tolerable or not. You are used to diving a liberal computer.

I would suggest setting the Aladin Square at a MB level of zero (L0) and having the profile dependent intermediate stop (PDIS) turned off. I assume you are not using a heart rate strap so you don't have to worry about the heart rate/work load setting.

Give it a try and see if you can tolerate the NDL difference between the 2 computers. Worst outcome is that you can't, and then you can resell the Aladin

In @wetb4igetinthewater example, above, he was diving one computer running DSAT and one RGBM, nearly the largest difference possible. No wonder he ditched the Cressi.
Thank you! I’ll try that too. Going next week to do a couple of local FW dives to play with them a bit. Appreciate the suggestions!

Since you already have both, go dive them. I think you will find it isn't as big of a deal as you are thinking it will be. Really no different than diving with a buddy who has a different computer than you.
This is a good analogy. And, just like diving with a buddy, you don't want you or the buddy to be pusing your own NDL, because it may not work for the other person. If you buddy violates his NDL and the computer shows deco, do you deco with him?

This is a good analogy. And, just like diving with a buddy, you don't want you or the buddy to be pusing your own NDL, because it may not work for the other person. If you buddy violates his NDL and the computer shows deco, do you deco with him?
I would say yes, always be on the safe side. And what else are you going to do? A buddy sticks with their buddy!

So grateful for all the responses. I have had the chance to dive with both a few times now and see all points discussed as valid. I’ll probably use them both for my next upcoming trip which will be mostly ‘foo foo’ diving as one of my buddies calls it but might have to bite the bullet and get a backup with the same algorithm as one of them for Socorro and the Philippines next year.

Hi @Pangeababy

Thanks for the thoughtful response! This was very helpful.

I had different algorithms once (before I knew better). I had the Aeris A300 CS (as it had AI) and the Cressi Leonardo (with the garbage RGBM algorithm). In a trip to Hawaii, the Cressi was left in my room fairly quickly. Just too conservative.
Have you had any issues with the Aeris and the OLED display? I might be able to pick one up but was concerned about that issue (read about it here)…

Have you had any issues with the Aeris and the OLED display? I might be able to pick one up but was concerned about that issue (read about it here)…
I sold it years ago. Just buy a Shearwater. The screen started to degrade when I sold it. The buyer was okay with it but I doubt it didn't continue to degrade.

If you are in the US, the Deep 6 Excursion is a good non AI choice.

Back
Top Bottom