DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #732: SHARKS ARE MY FRIENDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #732: SHARKS ARE MY FRIENDS

Way back in early August of 1969 I was on board an Amtrak train from Chicago to Los Angeles, making my way to my new home at Toyon Bay on Catalina Island. During that trip I remember reading a book on shark attacks and experiencing some concern over the stories about a great white chowing down on someone in La Jolla. This was well before the "Jaws" scare of the mid-1970s.

All my diving up until then had been in freshwater, and much of it had been focused on vacuuming the deep diving wells of a swimming pool I lifeguarded at. Of course visibility in the pool was fantastic and I had absolutely no fear of a shark approaching me from behind. Now that would all change when I did my first ocean dive off Arrow Point on August 24th on board the Golden Doubloon dive boat. No "man-eating" sharks interrupted those dives, but a skate relative of theirs, the shovelnose guitarfish, did accompany me on my first descent.

In those days there were plenty of blue sharks (Prionace glauca) in our waters, and I'd see dozens of them out in deeper water each day. However, the first time I encountered one while submerged was out at Shark Harbor on the island's windward side about 1970. I was diving Indian Head Point looking for abalone with fellow teacher Sherman Herrick and one of our students.

As we surface swam the long distance back to shore, I noticed a strange shape swimming alongside me in the murky water. I looked ahead of me and saw my buddies and wondered "who" was in the water next to me. It moved closer and I realized it was a blue shark, possibly drawn in by the abalone I was carrying in my goody bag. It made no aggressive moves and left me with a story to tell that night in the school dining hall.

I have had a few sightings of great whites as well, but two of them were from a distance. However, after seeing "Jaws" back in 1975 and meeting a surfer who had scars across his entire torso from an "attack" north of Pt. Conception, I quit diving. During summers in the late 1970s I worked for Jean-Michel Cousteau on his Project Ocean Search (POS) programs. He knew I no longer dove, but wanted my knowledge about the terrestrial ecology of the island. Then in 1978 during a POS program, Jean-Michel saw me putting on a wetsuit and getting ready to dive. He asked what got me back in the water. I said "I just saw 'Jaws II.'" He laughed.

I did have one close encounter with a great white (Carcharodon carcharias) near the East End Quarry. I was on board the King Neptune talking with marine artist Wyland. He said he wanted to dive with me to film giant sea bass. I told him I was a jinx at that dive site, but he insisted. We dropped down and immediately came across three of the huge fish. After about 20-25 minutes, Wyland signalled he was going back to the boat. I continued my dive and when I returned to the boat, he asked "Didn't you see it?" Apparently a 13 foot great white had swum between us (behind my back).

In the summer of 2000 I had an experience that led to the creation of these Dive Dry with Dr. Bill columns. Port Captain Renzo Sampson told me that a number of soupfin or tope sharks (Galeorhinus galeus) were in Lover's Cove by Abalone Point. I went out there with my video rig and ended up filming about two dozen of these generally harmless sharks as they swam back-and-forth past me. The Avalon Bay News published a cover story about them.

I wrote that these sharks were no danger to humans as long as they were not molested. There had only been one recorded (non-fatal) attack by this species since 1580 AD. That weekend several idiots decided to go swim with the sharks and reportedly grabbed their fins and tails. In a strictly defensive move, the sharks bit several of them requiring a trip to the local E.R. If one considers these "attacks" (which I don't) that quintupled the historic record.

One other pelagic shark that I've encountered in our waters is the shortfin mako (Isurus oxyrinchus). A decade ago SCUBA Luv used to run shark dive trips out to deep water. Blue sharks were seen most frequently, but occasionally young makos would appear. These rather skittish, erratic sharks were a bit unpredictable but I never witnessed any real aggressice behavior on their part. Sadly, sharks have declined so much in my six decades on the island, that such dives are no longer productive.

After nearly 50 years of diving Catalina waters, I still have all my fingers and toes (not to mention my arms and legs). I've dived with numerous sharks of many different species around the world. I have learned that sharks in general are not something to fear and that they perform very vital functions in our marine ecosystems. Of course I do not ocean swim, surf or paddleboard! Much safer to be beneath the surface where the sharks can see what you are. Oh, and ladies... you have nothing to fear. Sharks are man-eaters. They don't eat women!

© 2017 Dr. Bill Bushing. For the entire archived set of over 700 "Dive Dry" columns, visit my website Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Home Page

Image caption: Great white and blue shark; soupfin and mako shark.

DDDB 732 sharks sm.jpg

Bill
Read and read your columns with great interest .

You are one of the few who have been up close and personal to GWS and lived to share the event with others.

I had three friends killed by GWS which I noted in Ken Kurtis February epistle which is copied in total below

TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - February 5-12

Ken,
It is raining! Being a Kaliforian I don't go out in the rain for fear I might melt of shrink
So I had time to view and enjoy your 40 minute GWS presentation.

Fyi - me personally I thought your presentation was 25 % information and 75% promotion of your trips, but not a problem with me- I watched and enjoyed it to the very end. If you don't promote you cant fill the boat..
Recall:
Early to bed ,
early to rise ,
work like hell and advertise

I have had my share of shark encounters in my career...A lemon off Veracruz in the 1950s fought him off with my Samson camera: A hammer head on the very first dive at Farnsworth in December 1950 and unknown how many in the ensuing years here in California and all over the world

I have had three friends killed by GWS, The first was Al Sneppersnoff about 40 years ago at Guadalupe Island ...and about 10 years ago Debbie Franzman at Avila beach and finally poor Randy Fry who had his head bitten off while free diving for Abalone in Norcal

In 1963 Jim Stewart, CDO of SIO was attacked and lost a portion of his arm-- the attack was documented by the late Ron Church, three moths later Jim and I were diving together at Catalina. At that time we considered sharks an occupational hazard and an attack just a luck of the draw.

11 years a few days and a few hours after Al Sneppersnoff had been bitten Harry Ingram also had a life changing experience Like Al he was near the boat and preparing to hand off his spear gun. Suddenly a GWS came at him, circled him and came full force with is mouth open ready for a bite. Harry swung his gun fired point bland range into the sharks mouth which forced the shark to close it but the sharks speed picked Harry up out of the water and For a moment Harry became the first and only person to ever ride on the back if a GWS and tell about it. He is alive and well and is still a very active member of the LB Neptunes spear fishing club.

You can read a detailed description of Harrys encounter in Carlos Eyles book "The last of the blue water Hunters"

You can read about Jim Stewarts encounter complete with pictures in a early SDM

You can read about Al's death in the book "The Golden sea."

You might want to obtain Dr. R. Parry Gilberts long out of print book "Sharks and survival" which documents ALL known shark attacks including Jim Stewarts.

Long before Guadalupe Island was a active shark tourist attraction it was a spearfishing destination . Around 1962 a local OC group of divers chartered the Double Eagle out to Newport beach and made the long journey to Guadalupe.

It paid off - my diving buddy (and we must note Dr. Bills basic instructor) Ron Merker shot and broke the existing Blue Fin Tuna Spear fishing record.

This record remained for 18 years until broken by Terry Maas also at Guadalupe Island with a whopping big 398 pound Blue Fin Tuna

It as stopped raining ...time for my little dog Max and I to go for a walk on the beach and breath the fresh crisp salt air.

Ken keep up the good work.. It is encouraging that the baton has been passed from my generation to a person with your enthusiasm and dedication

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom