Dive flag help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZULU6

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lifeguard “Baywatch” style torpedo buoy that I’d like to attach a dive flag to. I’ve seen one photo of one done like this and I’ve read where they work well and are highly visible. I cannot however find a clear photo of how the flag is attached to the buoy. Any ideas? I’d rather not drill any holes into the buoy but any other thoughts would be great. If you have any pics or links, send them my way. Thanks

can you just not cable tie it on? that would be the easiest way. But you might want to put a weight on one end/bottom of it to keep it from flipping upside down. A lot of dive flag floats have weights on them to keep them upright in waves.

mike_s:
But you might want to put a weight on one end/bottom of it to keep it from flipping upside down.
Torpedo float like Omer one slingshot linked to, or the Sporasub one that I use are flattened ovals. That non-round shape generates enough righting force to keep the flag on the top ---- at least if you don't overinflate it and make it too round like I did before figuring this out. :) The slight pull of the line keeps it from doing a 180 flip.

One thing to watch out for though, with the spearfishing / freediving torpedo floats is that the flags may be somewhere around 8" square rather than the 12" that is legally required. In real life, the float itself is very visible and I'm happy with the Sporasub, even though not quite legal in Hawaii.

My instructor had a very nice set up that he showed us all how to make and said it could save our lives one day. The float was a standard lifeguard rescue can, the flag pole was a screwed into a washer and nut assembly. The washer and nut was stuck through a 6 inch wide piece of neoprene. 3 large cable ties wrapped around the neoprene holding it tight and he had them threaded through a 3 pound lead weight on the bottom of the rescue can.

Epoxy a 1/2 inch PVC threaded cap (female threads)or plug(male threads) to the can (buoy)in the position where you want the flag to stick up from. Use a section of 1/2 PVC pipe to attach your Flag to (aka Flag pole). On the bottom end of the pipe you glue a slip to threaded coupler.
This way you can quickly thread the flag pole on and off and the Threaded cap is low profile enough not to get in the way when the flag is not attached.

This can also be done on the under side to attach weights as ballast. You may want to go up to 3/4 fittings for strength.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom