Dive Flag in Salt Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check local regs. Florida a flag is required and you will get ticketed if caught without it..We have a lot of boat traffic.
Actually when in waters, i.e. Great Lakes, when the waters shares other state and country boundries and in the ocean, you should and in some areas required to fly a Alpa flag

Florida:
Actually when in waters, i.e. Great Lakes, when the waters shares other state and country boundries and in the ocean, you should and in some areas required to fly a Alpa flag

yes... two things

1. neither federal nor international law requires a diver to tow an alpha flag; the
vessel is required to show the alpha flag under certain circumstances (as an
alternative to the primary "i am engaged in underwater activities" shapes
during the day). i guess it doesn't hurt to show the alpha flag as a diver, but
the law is silent in this respect.

2. some states do require the alpha flag in addition to the diver's down flag, so you
need to research your state to make sure you are in compliance

Don Burke:
This would appear to indicate that a dive flag is required in some waters in Maine:

i thought so too, but upon closer reading, the statute doesn't require anything.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1276914&postcount=2

basically, it says that IF you show it, there have to be divers in the water (i.e.
don't use it without reason), and that IF you do show it, other boats have to stay
away (100 feet)

it does not mandate usage of the flag. it's a very poorly written statute.

also, check out the definitions section. it does define "waters of the state"

H2Andy:
i thought so too, but upon closer reading, the statute doesn't require anything.
Yep. I was expecting to find something in the state code or in some other department's rules, but no luck yet. If it is that hard to find, I would expect a judge to be sympathetic, but I would fly the flag anyway since it would make things so much easier in civil court if something happened.
H2Andy:
It is not even a statute.
It is a department rule put online under this disclaimer:
WARNING: While we have taken care with the accuracy of the files accessible here, they are not "official" state rules in the sense that they can be used before a court. Anyone who needs a certified copy of a rule chapter should contact the APA Office.

Yikes!

H2Andy:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1276914&postcount=2

basically, it says that IF you show it, there have to be divers in the water (i.e.
don't use it without reason), and that IF you do show it, other boats have to stay
away (100 feet)

also, check out the definitions section. it does define "waters of the state"

That is correct. In fact we hold permits to dive at several state parks and even at those state facilities flags are not required.

I can see that I want to have some means of making a safe ascent but when you have been doing most of your diving sans flag it sure is a pain when you need to bring one along. Most dives are to wide ranging to leave the flag stationary and have it be of value. As mentioned they do attract the slalom crowd form time to time.

I don't know that it's a poorly written statute, it just does not require the use. Only provides for the protocol if one is in use.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom