dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess i'm spoiled, in So Cal I dont know of any laws requireing a flag to be flown. I have done a lot of free diving from a sea kayak and I put a flag up on it and kelp tie it out at the edge. If I'm not too close to it the jet skis wont hit me while using it for a pylon, thats a small bit of Palos Verdes diving humor. Anyway I'v never had any encounters with the law over flags. I have had more than one visit from a game warden though.
Bill...........Dive safe

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
Every 5 feet I marked the line using the resistor color code.

You are a geek....who has their resistor colors memorized anyway....oh wait...

It was summersville lake

There is suppose to be an old stone quary in Elkins that is flooded with water.. my next trip to the hills I may stop by there and check it out.

Dallas TX :-(

I do most of my diving in places like athens scuba park, clear springs, etc.. cain't wait to get into some salt water!

Summersville is beatiful country aint it.
I am going to try to plan a trip to athens when I get back from vortex. Maybe we could hook up for a dive or two.

Knavey once bubbled...

Hehe,

That site has the more politically correct way to remember it. When I learned it...well, it was an all guys class. Of course, when I learned it, there wasn't a website to go to and look it up either! And I am not that old...

I don't remember the exact phrase that our instructor used in Navy Electronics Tech school, but it was near as "family friendly." The ladies on the board would not appreciate my remembering it, either. Like I said, it was a class full of young sailors, so let imaginations run wild. LOL

Where did you get the information on the State Law?

I checked out the DNR website and following is all I could find.

"Diver down flag" shall be a red field of not less than 10 inches X 10 inches dimension with a white diagonal stripe not less than 1.5 inches wide running upper left to lower right. The flag shall be displayed at all times and be affixed to a separate flotation device. No such flag shall be attached to any navigational device or placed so as to obstruct boat traffic. Divers must come up within 100 feet of flag. All powerboats will remain a minimum distance of 100 feet away from the marker flag. The top of the flag shall be at least 3 feet above the surface of the water."

Unless there is another law this does not say it has to fixed to anything (except a float), nor does it say you cant tow it. I have been told it is a $75.00 fine for diving without a flag. I am curious as I dive WV.

thanks

I talked to a local diver there, didn't know them, just happened upon them and asked them if there was anything special I needed to know. I already had the float, the flag and all that met specs, I just remember reading some posts that in some places your not allowed to tow the flag, so I inquired a local diver.

doubles, its sure is! I'm a WV native.. miss the hills.

I hope to make a trip to clearsprings soon as well, was just at athens yesterday and the vis was great!!!

FLL Diver once bubbled...
In the pc world? Who needs a memory aid anymore?

I use http://a1computers.net/pcresist.htm :D
Memory aids don't work in a PC world.
That one is FAR more PC than the one I learned by.
Of course, my electronics teacher in 1979 was completely un-PC and taught us the version that had the memory aid itself easily discerning black from brown :D

I didnt think that the rules regulating the use of flags were constant throughout the states. http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdndec99/letter12.html
This is a link to an acticle that appeared in a California diving newspaper. I did find a site for diving NJ that describes a federal requirement for the delta flag to be flown while divers are in the water.
Bill

I haven't had a chance to look to hard for the law. One thing I will say though is when you arrive at the dive site look for a big billboard. It will have state laws on in it. One of them is that you are not allowed to tow the flag. It has been about 4 years since I dove WV so laws may have changed.

Back
Top Bottom