dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I emailed the DNR asking for info on laws, will see if I get a response. There are currently no readable laws posted at Mount Storm. I dive with a couple of police officers and will start quizzing them.

Normally we and everyone else at Mount Storm takes their flags out to one of the platforms, ties it off there and goes diving.

I wonder, does "not towing the flag" mean you have to swim it out on the surface then decend?

We usually descend and tow the flag to where it will be tied, after dive tow it back to the shore. It would be a bummer to get fined for that.

I have also been told it is against the law to dive from a boat dock in WV.

Nice picture of Mount Storm. It has not been often this year you can see the plant through the fog!

Attached is a picture of the current sign, they must have replaced the other. A sign with the laws would be a good thing.

Let me know if you return to the hills for a dive.

That sign sure has changed a lot. When I head back to WV I will post it on the board and see if we cant round up a couple people to dive. Someone mentioned a place to dive in elkins,That is where I would like to go.
Getting Technical about the flag, Does any flag fly "at least 3 foot from the surface" I dont think my current flag reaches 2 ft. It is one of those inner tube types.

Although it doesnt seem a requirement it is customary to display an indicator as to diving in the area. On a beach dive with students or any group it is customary to tow an inflated float. I use a truck innertube with a cover and a flag extended upward maybe 4 feet with an anchor line that is deployed to the bottom. It offers a place for someone to hang of the side and be secure in location as well as a dependable rest stop. It has a zippered pouch in the center which I use for water and power bars and the like. Equipment of any description can be hung from the underside as it is rigged for it. It is a safe and perhaps responsible item to use but I really dont think its required.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom