Dive Flags Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish:
I imagine many of the OPP are not familiar either with the regulations regarding dive flags.

That is correct. I don't think that there are any laws or regulations in Canada that defines the diving flag, posts minimum distances, or posts a fine if it is encroched.

I think that this is what is needed.

Ontario Diver:
That is correct. I don't think that there are any laws or regulations in Canada that defines the diving flag, posts minimum distances, or posts a fine if it is encroched.

I think that this is what is needed.
They do in Florida! How do we make this stick in Canada?

http://www.floridascubahound.com/dive_flag_laws.htm

aquaoren:
Or you take your dive knife and put a long gash into the side of the boat. This for one will make identification easier and will prevent the boat from taking off because the owner for sure will stay around and will try to get reimbursement for the damage.
A small cut in your arm should be proof enough that the boat endangared your health and life.
It may be very radical but I'm tired of being frindly and PC, when the real culprits don't even care for health or life as long as they can speed around.

A bang stick is more effective and safer to employ.

For a prop driven boat an few feet of 1/2" poly line will slow them down big time. As far as fines, first there has to be a law. I have done the PCOC test as well as coaching our kids through it. The guides we have say to stay 100 feet away from a dive flag. IMNHO, 100 feet is not far enough.

For the teenagers in the original post, how old might they be? For those under 16, there is now an age/horsepower restriction.

We were diving Cedar Hill today and there were a couple of power boats coming our way along the shore (there were divers down at the time, I was still getting ready). I had my handheld VHF along so I broadcast a "securite" message that there were divers in the water and to please watch for and keep away from the flag. Was most surprised to see both of them move further off the shoreline as they went past. Gives me hope that some do care.

There is such a thing called the Collisions Regulations that is part of the Canada Shipping Act, referencing diver down flags and their significance to boaters: http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/tp/Tp10038/19-ns-bam-diving-flags.htm

I know people who have taken the safe boating course and their experience is the same as what has already been pointed out: neither the diver down nor the alpha flag are given much attention beyond their presence on a single exam question. However, a quick Google Pleasure Craft Operator Card issuer does seem to address the Diver Down flag in its course: http://www.safetyafloat.ca/olcmod5.html#5.3 and http://www.boaterexam.com/Training/acts1.html

Granted, it's not part of the Criminal Code. However, there is a provision in the Criminal Code that boaters must take great care when entering waterways that are shared by other users (swimmers, divers, etc).

I'm no lawyer, but last time I checked, ignorance of the law is no defence. I can only hope (albeit without much optimism) that justice will be done.

Ummm...what happened to SH's post? I for one would like to read it.

US Coast Guard ran over my dive flag last month. Good grief!

Apparently there was a diver killed this past weekend too as noted in another thread. diving fatality

Diverlady

diverlady:
US Coast Guard ran over my dive flag last month. Good grief!

Apparently there was a diver killed this past weekend too as noted in another thread. diving fatality

Diverlady

Like I said, Education does not help, these people do not care, and sometimes they're even aiming for you.

Aiming for you - give me a break. You can think what you want about boaters, but the number of people who would intentially try and kill a diver, as you suggest, would be miniscule. Most boaters are ignorant to what a dive flag is, and that is nothing but our lousy education and lack of enforcement.

To suggest that boaters would actually try and kill a diver is insane. Sorry - but I have a little more faith in human beings than that.

As a boater and a diver, I know all too well the question - "Hey, what does that flag mean?". Add that to tiny little flags in choppy lakes that can't be seen by those who do know, and no fines for those who don't care to stay far enough away, and there is your problem.

I agree - much better public education and enforcement with stiff fines. Lord knows the Police on Simcoe just love handing out tickets!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom