Dive for the Cure Oct 5 - 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiverllc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dive for the Cure is upon us!!

This event is dedicated to promoting the sport of scuba while raising monies for Breast Cancer in the local area. This years monies at the Tacoma event will go to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle.

We are pleased with the amount of support we have gotten from the dive industry and hope to grow this event in future years.

The event is held the weekend of Oct. 5 -7, in Tacoma. ALL divers are invited and a special invitation goes out to your non-diving friends, as this may prove an inspiration to get your land lubbing buddies certified in the next year.

Friday, Oct. 5, the event will kick off with an auction/dinner event held at the Tacoma Elks ballroom on Union Ave off Hwy 16 in Tacoma. Auction items include regulators, BCD's, charter trips, classes, art, massages... Dinner is Baron of Beef or Chicken with a full array of foods to accompany. We are pleased to also have Blue Juice Band as our live entertainment following dinner. Tickets are $30 and available at Tacoma Scuba or Underwater Sports Federal Way. Tickets also available by contacting Dive for the Cure at the site below.

Saturday, we'll have an informal dive at Les Davis at 1:00 pm with our friends coming from as far as Eugene, OR and Northern B.C. Saturday night, the Tacoma Elks pool will be available for any instructors needing to use this for the Discover Scuba participants preparation.

Sunday, Oct. 7, we will be kicking off the Main Event at Owens Beach at 9 am. We'll start with a Discover Scuba dive, then a newly certified women in diving dive and culminate with a BIG SPLASH event, where participating divers will do giant strides from the boat ring...entering the water in a show for onlookers of how much fun diving is. We will have booths with vendors, dive centers and donors for the event. We have massage therapists who have volunteered to donate massage time to raise monies at the Main Event, so come down and get a massage and help the fundraising effort.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE...

If you're wanting to get involved, or have a non-diving friend that wants to get involved...contact us right away to find out how to volunteer or DIVE in the event.

Media coverage for the event will be featured in DiveZero magazine, XRay magazine, Northwest Dive News and TravelGirl magazine. And for those going to DEMA, we've been invited to speak at the XRay magazine booth at 10:00 and 2:00 on Nov. 2 & 3...to launch the 2008 event!

Hello all, I am one member of a team of women divers doing this event in Eugene, OR. We are supplying our gear and bearing the costs that come with making a dive trip up to Seattle, so as to "spread the word" about Breast Cancer, as well as to "dive into supporting" those trying to make a difference, as well as making this event happen.

The dive shop I am affiliated with is Eugene Skin Divers Supply

Some of you browsers (or is that divers:wink:) know who I am......so help me with the cause by getting us some donations, which can be dropped off at the dive shop, if you are in Eugene, or contact them via their website, and mention you saw "MM"'s posting on www.scubaboard.com

Appreciate everyone who's been rallying to help us out, only a couple more weeks to go...

As some of you know, I'm helping Cindy organize the diving part of the Dive for the Cure event. Currently I'm in need of some volunteers, both for diving and non-diving positions.

The divers will be responsible for setting dive floats and being available to assist if divers in the water require assistance. Must be at least Rescue certified. I currently need three additional divers.

I also need two additional people to work the pavilion, assisting with check-in, and coordinating setup for the shops, manufacturers, and breast cancer resources who will be putting up canopies at the site.

I'm also looking for a PA system for the day. If anyone has one that's available to borrow for the day ... or knows where I can rent one at a reasonable rate ... that info would be helpful.

Please contact me via PM if interested in being a part of the event.

... Bob (Grateful ...)

Back
Top Bottom