Dive Health: Eat Chocolate Before Diving — Really

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend (mermaid0sea) shared this on facebook. I'm curious what those scubaboarders in the medical profession think about this article.
http://scubadiverlife.com/2016/01/25/dive-health-eat-chocolate-before-diving-really/
According to the studies, ingestion of just 30 grams of dark chocolate one hour before diving can prevent something called endothelial dysfunction. Endothelium cells form an inner lining in blood vessels, where the presence of NOS and inflammation factor into the body’s ability to process substances going to and from the blood and body tissues. NOS hinders bubble formation. Simply stated, properties in dark chocolate help with off-gassing and prevention of DCS.

Chocolate is one of the food items listed as things not to eat if you have frequent reflux (GERD). I can tell you, you do not want to have "heart burn," or reflux while diving. IMO

Chocolate is one of the food items listed as things not to eat if you have frequent reflux (GERD). I can tell you, you do not want to have "heart burn," or reflux while diving. IMO
Man, my heart goes out to you. Seriously, no chocolate would be a real bummer!

I am allergic to dark chocolate. Found out in New Zealand when I ate a cookie with some sort of nuts in it and my vocal cords when into complete paralysis for 15 minutes. Could not speak a word. (Could breath fortunately). Since then a bite of dark chocolate and I feel some constriction and hoarseness. Messing with the airway underwater seems like a bad decision.

On the other hand, it made my secretary happy because whenever anybody gave me chocolate like on a holiday I passed it on to her.

So, the medical community is finally catching up to what most of us chocoholics have felt in our hearts for a very long time. Also, although I have not had GERD, there is nothing that calms my indigestion like a couple chunks of high cocoa percentage dark chocolate. All of this talk about chocolate is taking a lot of self control on my part not to go raid my stash right now.

Now I will say that if i am in a small boat and the seas are a bit rough nothing tastes better than a Yahoo.
Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 2.39.03 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom